The Malta Independent 5 December 2023, Tuesday
View E-Paper

Premier League: Sirens saved by Hinestroza’s stoppage time goal

Simon Farrugia Saturday, 23 September 2023, 06:22 Last update: about 3 months ago

A goal scored four minutes into stoppage time saved the day for Sirens who were heading towards their second consecutive defeat. For Mosta this was their second draw on the trot and when everything seemed that a goal from the spot by veteran Clayton Failla was enough for them to claim their first win, came Hinestroza’s goal.

It was a balanced encounter with both teams having their fair share of the proceedings though Mosta looked superior in various aspects.


Sirens opened their commitments with a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Valletta. As for Mosta they were held into a goalless draw by Gudja United. Therefore both teams were in search of their first win of the campaign.

Mosta were the first to venture forward when on six minutes a Britto shot was turned onto a corner by Cassar.

Five minutes later Sirens responded through Pulis whose shot sailed just over the bar.

On 15 minutes Camara set Zachary Brincat but the latters shot went completely off the mark.

Midway through the first half an Odoh cross shot was saved by Akpan.  And on the other end Mosta missed through Brincat who concluded wide though well placed.

On the half hour Sirens went forward once again and an Agyemang shot ended just over the bar.

Two minutes from the end of the first half and Mosta went near to breaking the deadlock. Vassallo found Brincat but his shot was saved by an alert Cassar.

Mosta started the second half brightly and took the lead on 51 minutes. Opoku brought down Sciberras with the match official pointing to the penalty spot. From the resultant kick Clayton Failla made no mistake.

On 59 minutes Mosta threatened once again when Camara made his way on the left flank, passed towards Isah but his tame shot was easy prey for Cassar. The Sirens goalkeeper was in the thick of action on the hour saving well on Brincat.

But when the match seemed to be going Mosta’s way Sirens drew level. It was the 94th minute when following a number of shots which were all blocked, in came Perea Hinestroza who slotted the ball home.

Photo: Domenic Aquilina

  • don't miss