The Malta Independent 26 February 2024, Monday
View E-Paper

Hamrun beat Birkirkara to win Super Cup for sixth time

Friday, 8 December 2023, 19:07 Last update: about 4 months ago

Hamrun Spartans won their sixth Super Cup after a 31-year wait by crushing Birkirkara 4-0 in a one-sided final. Birkirkara were the Spartans’ recent bogey team with the Spartans failing to score a goal in their last four encounters with the Stripes.

But after last Saturday’s 0-3 defeat in the league against Birkirkara, the champions yesterday showed all their class demolishing Birkirkara with a polished performance and with striker Jonny lethal in front of goal scoring a hat-trick.


Hamrun never let their opponents settle down with Marcelina playing a blinder at the back.

The Spartans were more aggressive and direct in the opening minutes and went near on seven minutes when a Jonny grounder justr missed the base of the upright. Five minutes later hamrun were in front when Ryan Camenzuli’s long cross from the left surprised the static Birkirkara defence and in nipped Jonny to head home from close range.

Birkirkara’s first reaction on 19 minutes with a Zibo header blocked by Marchetti. On 31 minutes Hamrun were on velvet when Joseph Mbong ran through on the right and passed towards the completely unmarked Jonny who easily shot home from close range.

The Stripes showed signs of life in the final moments of the first half with Adailton missing a sitter in front  of goal and with Marchetti saving a Satariano shot from an acute angle. Deep in stoppage time Hamrun close to a third goal when Luke Montebello dribbled his way inside the area but was denied by a great Zapytowski save.    

In the second half Birkirkara tried to recover but Hamrun were too solid at the back and were never under treath with goalkeeper Marchetti having a rather easy second 45 minutes. On 62 minutes Jonny put the issue beyond doubt when he beat Pajovic on the run and score with a low drive.

The game was now dead and buried with Birkirkara resigning to their fate and with the Spartans in full control. The match got nasty at times and referee Petrovic had a rough time keeping the match in check.

On 90 minutes Birkirkara’s misery was complete when substitute Ederson Bruno, well served by Prsa, beat Zapytowski for the fourth and final goal.        

 Photo: Domenic Aquilina

  • don't miss