The Malta Independent 18 November 2018, Sunday

Restoration Of painting by Lazzaro Pisani

Malta Independent Sunday, 26 August 2007, 00:00 Last update: about 5 years ago

Bank of Valletta has extended a sponsorship towards the restoration of the titular painting of the Parish Church of Ghasri. The perpendicular painting(right)by renowned Zebbug born artist Lazzaro Pisani (1854-1932) depicts the Institution of the Holy Eucharist during the Last Supper, featuring Jesus Christ and the twelve Apostles and displaying various traditional biblical aspects associated with the represented event.

The painting was put in place on 3 June 1917, during the tenure in office of Fr Carmelo Caruana. Over the 90 years it has been in place, creases were formed as a result of the heavy texture of the canvas, which was gradually getting unstuck from the wooden frame. A hole in the back wall behind the painting so as to let air circulate behind the canvas also caused damp and brought about patches on the back canvas.

Zejtun restorer Emanuel Zammit was trusted with the responsibility of the restoration, following other successful restorations at the Gozo Cathedral.

The Bank’s sponsorship was presented by Jack Thewma, Manager of Bank of Valletta’s Gozo Branch to Fr Edward Xuereb, Parish Priest of Ghasri during a courtesy visit to the Church following the re-installation of the restored painting.

Lazzaro Pisani was born in Zebbug in 1854. He started his career, studying under Michele Bellanti and Carlo Ignatio Cortis. Cortis helped him with a scholarship (1870-74) at the Accademia di San Luca and the British Academy in Rome. Luigi Fontana who designed the statue of St Philip for the Parish Church of Haz-Zebbug seems to have influenced him. In 1885 he won a silver medal, at the Colonial Exhibition,London, for his work, The Death of Abel. He was a contemporary of Giuseppe Calì and between them they dominated the artistic trends of their time.

  • don't miss