20 September 2014

Football: Bank Of Valletta third division - Siggiewi win to join St Venera on top of Group A

 - Wednesday, 30 March 2011, 00:00

Section A

Mdina K-Swieqi U 4-1

Mdina knights played the better football during the first period and early on were very close through Robert Southward, Steve Peccorella and Cachel Vella.

Swieqi responded through attempts by Michael Ciappara and Edward Vella which were well saved by Chris Cini with Mdina coming back through Nicholas Micallef whose shot was saved by George Edwards.

At the other end Swieqi were denied by Cini off a shot by Fabien Debono but on 31 minutes Mdina took a deserved lead as Trevor Fenech shot in from a very difficult angle.

In the 38th minute a mistake by the Swieqi keeper allowed Mdina to score their second goal through Cachel Vella and seconds later Swieqi were reduced to ten players as Mark Portelli was sent off for unwarranted remarks.

Just before the break Swieqi were denied by Cini off a Michawl Ciappara free-kick.

After the resumption Swieqi gained the initiative early on and in the 59th minute they reduced the arrears through Fabian Debono from a free-kick taken by Michael Ciappara.

Swieqi kept pushing forward but in the 82nd minute Mdina scored a beautiful goal scored by Nicolas Micallef who managed to beat Edward with a low angled shot.

Five minutes from time Mdina sealed the issue with a fourth goal scored by Robert Southward who took advantage from a mistake by Edwards.

Referee: Emanuel Grech.

Siggiewi-St Venera L 2-1

Siggiewi dictated the run of play throughout the first period but it was St Venera who had the first opportunity as an angled shot by Jeffrey Zammit was saved with difficulty by Roderick Vella.

Siggiewi then were close through a Jason Camilleri direct free-kick and in the 21st minute a crosshot by Stephen Delia was well saved by Roderick Spiteri. St Venera responded through two dangerous efforts by Dalton Wingfield and Jeffrey Zammit and in the 40th minute the St Venera keeper brought off a fine save to deny Mark Camilleri.

In added time Siggiewi had a cross by Harun Ahmed Muhamed and Jason Camilleri headed just over the bar.

After the change of ends Siggiewi continued to dictate the run of play and early on a shot by Mark Camilleri was cleared off the goal line by a St Venera defender.

Then a long-range shot by Kim Buhagiar was saved by the Lightnings’ keeper but on 59 minutes the Siggiewi keeper let in a soft goal off a long-range shot by Dylan Mercieca who put the Lightnings 1-0 ahead.

Siggiewi’s reaction produced a Jason Camilleri free-kick which just missed the target but on 69 minutes they got a deserved equalizer as Mario Bajada headed in from a free-kick taken by Melvin Agius.

Then Siggiewi were again very close through Mark Camilleri and wasted a clear opportunity through substitute Justin Buhagiar.

In the 78th minute the St,Venera keeper brought off a difficult save to deny Jason Camilleri and four minutes later the Siggiewi keeper saved partially off a Mercieca free-kick and then saved again off Dalton Wingfield’s close-range shot.

Three minutes into injury-time Siggiewi got a dramatic winning goal through a shot by Jason Camilleri following good work between Harun and Josef Vassallo. T

his result means that Siggiewi are now joint leaders with the Lightnings.

Referee: Mohammed Khalil.

Gudja U-Qrendi 2-0

As expected Gudja United did the attacking throughout the first period and early on they were twice close through Trevor Thomas.

In the 29th minute a dangerous shot by Peter Paul Sammut was deflected to a corner-kick by a Qrendi defender and a minute later a close-range shot by Kalenga was saved by the Qrendi keeper.

Gudja were then again very close through Peter Paul Sammut and Ndayi Kalenga with Qrendi responding on two occasions through shots by Chris Farrugia which finished just wide.

At the other end Gudja were twice denied by Ciantar off attempts by Thomas and in added time an effort by Thomas was cleared off the goal line.

After the resumption Gudja maintained their dominance and in the 54th minute an Aaron Guazzo free-kick hit the crossbar and from the rebound Edmond Thornton’s header also hit the post.

Then a first-time volley by Ndayi Kalenga finished just wide and in the 64th minute a shot by Elvin Gauci was well saved by Ciantar.

Two minutes later Qrendi ended up with ten players as defender Jonathan Galea was sent off for a second caution with Gudja then twice being denied by Ciantar off efforts by Kalenga and Gauci.

In the 76th minute Qrendi were very close through Chris Farrugia but four minutes later Gudja got their deserved goal as Peter Paul Sammut scored with a low angled shot following a good pass by Elvin Gauci.

Six minutes from time Gudja made it 2-0 through an excellent first-time shot by substitute Edmond Thornton from a cross by Sammut.

Late in the match Gudja were again very close through Aaron Guazzo and Edmond Thornton.

Referee: Roberto Vella.

Mtarfa FC-Attard 0-1

Attard played the better football during the first period and early on they were twice denied by the Mtarfa keeper James Borg off attempts by Darren Galea and Dincho Traykov.

In the 20th minute Attard opened the score with Kayne Said heading in past Borg from a cross by Traykov and five minutes later a low shot by Traykov was well saved by the Mtarfa custodian.

In the 33rd minute Mtarfa were denied by Dunstan Zarb off an Arvin Micallef crosshot and just before the break Attard had a strong shot by Daniel Gauci which finished just wide off the far post

In the 45th minute Mtarfa missed a sitter through Arvin Micallef.

After the change of ends Attard continued to push forward and in the 57th minute a free-kick taken by Darren Galea was headed at goal by Bydasser Sammut with the Mtarfa keeper bringing off a fine save.

Borg was then tested off a Clive Lanzon free-kick and a shot by Bydasser Sammut whereas in the 72nd minute Sammut shot just wide following a personal effort.

Three minutes later Attard wasted a clear goal scoring opportunity through Kurt Zahra and late in the match Attard had shots by Erjon Beu and Bydasser Sammut which just missed the target.

In added time Mtarfa were given a penalty for a foul on Francesco Azzopardi but Giorgio Cumbo’s shot from the spot was well saved by Dunstan Zarb.

Referee: Anthony Buhagiar.

St Lucia-Marsascala 0-3

The Saints were very close after just eight minutes as a shot by Jason Woodhead was cleared off the line by Marsaskala’s defender Alan Yeomans.

Then a shot by Sean Lee Lanzon was well saved by Renald Attard but in their first attack on 15 minutes Marsascala opened the score through an angled shot by Brian Grech following good work by Matthew Gauci.

In the 21st minute Marsascala could have increased their lead but their midfield player Joseph John Cutajar miskicked the ball in front of the opponents’ goal.

Gradually the Saints launched a reaction and were twice very close to obtaining an equalising goal through dangerous attempts by Christian Curmi and Antoine Sapiano.

After the resumption Marsascala dictated the run of play and after going quite close through Alan Yeomans, they managed to increase their lead on 57 minutes through Terrence Cachia following a square pass by Max Zammit.

The Saints’ reaction produced two attempts by Baldassare Borg and Christian Curmi which were well saved by Marsascala’s keeper Renald Attard but in the 71st minute Marsascala made it 3-0 through a low shot by Max Zammit after the Saints’ keeper had saved partially off a close-range shot by Matthew Gauci.

Late in the game Marsascala were again quite close through Joseph John Cutajar.

Referee: Andrew James Sammut.

Section B

Ghaxaq-Kirkop U 0-1

Kirkop United dictated proceedings for long stretches during the first period and in the opening fifteen minutes efforts by Bryan Falzon and Ronald Spina were well saved by Ghaxaq’s custodian Ludvic Fardell.

In the 16th minute Fardell was again on hand to stop a point-blank shot by Christian Mifsud and four minutes later Kirkop wasted a clear opportunity through Ronald Spina. On the half hour a Spina header was cleared off the goal line by Elton Dimech with Ghaxaq responding with two very dangerous attempts as they were denied certain goals by the Kirkop keeper Daniel Pryke off a Bronwen Bugeja free-kick and a close-range shot by Peter Paul Cassar.

After the break Ghaxaq had the better opportunities early on and were twice denied by Daniel Pryke off an Elton Caruana free-kick and a shot by Bjorn Dalli.

Gradually Kirkop started sharing the exchanges and in the 74th minute they won a corner-kick which was taken by Orianski Buhagiar and Ronald Spina’s header was saved by Fardell.

Then a shot by Michael Theuma was deflected to a corner-kick and in the 84th minute an Albert Busuttil free-kick was well saved by Fardell.

However a minute later Fardell lost the ball off a shot by Ronald Spina and Christian Mifsud was on hand to shoot home for the winning goal.

Ghaxaq’s reaction was well controlled by a solid Kirkop defensive line.

Referee: Philip Farrugia.

Luqa SA-Kalkara 1-0

Kalkara went close early on through Clayton Micallef and Conrad Tabone with Luqa responding in the 18th minute as a Maveric Psaila corner-kick was finished off by Mark Said whose overhead kicj just missed the target.

Luqa were then denied by Fulvio Azzopardi off a shot by Maverick Psaila and then an Adrian Psaila free-kick just missed the target.

In the 39th minute Luqa opened the score through Roderick Debattista from a cross by Jeffrey Fenech and just before the break Kalkara were denied by Psaila off a header by Nicholas Gatt.

After the break Luqa sustained the pressure and in the 53rd minute a low shot by Lee Baldacchino was saved with difficulty by Fulvio Azzopardi.

Then Mark Said hit just wide from a cross by Shaun Cutajar and in the 68th minute the Kalkara keeper had to come out of his goal to anticipate Glen Azzopardi.

On 76 minutes Azzopardi brought off an excellent save to deny Roderick Debattista with Kalkara being denied the equalising goal in the 84th minute as Psaila brought off an excellent save off a Michael Zammit header.

Late in the match Luqa wasted an open goal scoring opportunity through Lee Baldacchino.

Referee: Stefan Pace.

Gharghur-Sirens 1-0

The first period proved to be a balanced and exciting affair with both teams playing attacking football.

In the 13th minute Gharghur were denied by Romeo Schembri off an insidious free-kick taken by Alexander Ribic with Sirens responding seven minutes later as a shot by Leandro Blanco De Castro just missed the target.

In the 26th minute Gharghur’s striker Benjamin Perry Acton shot just wide and a minute later a point-blank effort by Ivan Ebejer was deflected to a corner-kick.

Then Gharghur were again denied by the Sirens’ keeper off a shot by Ribic with Sirens then protesting for a penalty.

Sirens replied through dangerous attempts by George Falzon and Giovanni Galea which were well saved by Mercieca and just before the break Gharghur’s schemer Ribic shot just wide from the edge of the penalty area.

In added time Sirens were denied by Mercieca off a low shot by Ryan Theuma following a personal effort.

Early on in the second period Gharghur opened up pressure and were denied certain goals on two occasions off close-range shots by Alexander Ribic and Malcolm Tirchett.

In the 56th minute Gharghur were given a penalty as Chris Vella was fouled by Sirens’ defender Karl Montebello in the penalty area but Malcolm Tirchett’s shot from the spot was well saved by the Sirens’ keeper.

In a counter-attack Sirens wasted a clear opportunity through Giovanni Galea and in the 71st minute Sirens suffered a setback as their central defender Karl Montebello was sent off for a second caution.

Gharghur were then close through Tirchett and Ribic with Sirens wasting another clear opportunity through Joseph Camilleri.

In the 82nd minute Gharghur were once again denied by Schembri off a point-blank header by Tirchett but in added time Gharghur vscored the winning goal through an Alexander Ribic direct free-kick.

Referee: Matthew Degabriele.

post the first comment FOR THIS ARTICLE!

Post Comment

Post Comment