The Malta Independent 21 November 2018, Wednesday

Six-year Ramla Bay development saga comes to an end

Malta Independent Sunday, 9 June 2013, 11:09 Last update: about 5 years ago

Gozo’s Ramla Bay has been “saved from destruction” the Save Ramla NGO said this week after the revocation of a planning permit to develop the Ulysses Lodge site overlooking Ramla l-Hamra was confirmed by a Court of Appeal.

The six-year saga over the proposed development – which had catalysed what was perhaps the country’s largest environmental protest on record and several hearings before the European Parliament’s Petitions Committee – was brought to an end this week when the Malta Environment and Development Authority informed Architect Lino Bianco, the environmental consultant engaged by the NGO, of the decision against an appeal lodged by the would-be developers.

Mepa revoked the permits following detailed technical reports submitted by Professor Bianco, which included proof that permits had been issued on information that was “false, misleading or incorrect” in terms of Article 39A of the Development Planning Act.

Appeals had subsequently been filed by the developer against the revocation of the permits. And while the Environment and Planning Review Tribunal had confirmed these revocations, another appeal filed with the Court of Appeal against the Tribunal’s decision was also dismissed.

The Save Ramla Committee has expressed its thanks to all those who took a staunch stand against the development, especially members of the public who supported and contributed to the cause, both morally and financially.

The NGO said: “We assure you that we will continue to work for the protection of Ramla Bay and its geo-cultural environs, an inheritance from our forefathers which we are entrusted to safeguard for our children, our future generations.”

  • don't miss