The Malta Independent 31 October 2014, Friday

AFM intercepts 102 migrants; craft being monitored out at sea

Malta Independent Tuesday, 9 July 2013, 11:52 Last update: about 6 months ago

A group of 102 migrants were brought ashore this morning at 6.15 a.m. after they were in intercepted by the Armed Forces of Malta.

Among the migrants were two infants, 41 women and  59 men.

The total of migrants that have entered our shores in a matter of a week has reached 400.

UNHCR spokesman Adrian Edwards last week said that Mediterranean crossings to Italy and Malta exceeded 8,000 in the first six months of this year.

He said migrants mostly left from North Africa, principally Libya (around 6,700 people). The remaining 1,700 crossed from Greece and Turkey, landing in southern Italy’s Apulia and Calabria regions.

Last week, following the arrival of a group of migrants, Prime Minister Joseph Muscat warned the EU that if it did not lend a hand in grappling with the immigration crisis, he would threaten to wield the country's veto powers and begin rejecting migrants.

Meanwhile, the AFM has confirmed with this portal that they are currently monitoring a boat suspected to be carrying migrants, however denied reports that another group of migrants entered Marsascala.

The AFM did not give further details on the operation.

  • don't miss