The Malta Independent 18 November 2017, Saturday

EU taking steps against Malta as directive not implemented in the required time - Metsola

Thursday, 27 November 2014, 16:33 Last update: about 4 years ago

The European Union has opened procedures against Malta as the government has not implemented several Directives against abuse and sexual exploitation of children in the required time period, as the government was obliged to do MEP Roberta Metsola has said.

"The government introduced the directive after EU action against Malta had already begun. The government should have introduced the directive as soon as it was issued, especially considering it deals with children," she added.

Roberta Metsola criticised member states that do not protect children and expressed displeasure at the fact that Malta did not introduce the directive in time.

"Instead of admitting the mistake, the government released a hysterical statement that shows it has it's back against the wall as the EU has taken steps against it.

In reply, the government said that Dr Metsola had change tune and is saying that the directive should have been implemented before. The government said the directive was implemented in 2011, and the Labour government agreed with her that it should have been implemented earlier.

 

 

  • don't miss