Norovirus outbreak confirmed to be over – Ministry of Health
Thursday, 12 January 2017, 07:42
Last update: about 5 months ago
The Norovirus outbreak has been confirmed to be over, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Health told The Malta Independent.
The virus left many patients at Mater Dei Hospital and at Karen Grech Hospital suffering with gastritis symptoms. A number of patients in different wards at the hospitals had presented symptoms within a few hours of each other and were diagnosed on 16 December.
The current level of infected cases over the last two weeks are normal for this time of year, the spokesperson went on to say.
Regarding the investigation into the source of the outbreak, the spokesperson said that the final report is still being compiled by the Superintendent of Public Health.
At the time of the outbreak, an in-depth investigation was carried out at the supplying food caterer and the necessary control measures were taken, including the removal of all prepared food and full disinfection of the premises. However, it remains to be seen whether or not the food caterer had been the source.
The World Health Organisation states that the Norovirus is "the most common pathogen implicated in outbreaks of gastrointestinal disease. Symptoms often start with sudden onset of vomiting and/or diarrhoea. There may be fever, abdominal cramps and malaise. The virus can spread in food or water or from person to person; it is highly infectious".