The Malta Independent 21 April 2019, Sunday

Pembroke fail to lift off

Chris Cassar Monday, 11 September 2017, 23:27 Last update: about 3 years ago

ZABBAR SP          1

PEMBROKE         1

Pembroke needed desperately the three points to have a good start to a difficult season as they start with a ten-point handicap. But against newly promoted Zabbar SP they came a cropper as the young Zabbar side produced a polished display to earn a deserved point.


After a low profile first half Zabbar took the lead on 50 minutes through Kurt Borg who was put through by Kurt Cutajar. Pembroke lifted their game as they pressed for the equaliser and went close minutes later when substitute goalkeeper Grech made a stunning save off Mifsud Triganza.

Pembroke drew level twelve minutes from time with a Glenn Azzopardi header with the same player immediately sent off for dissent.

Zabbar SP: J. Pisani (J. Grech 46 min), A. Pulis, K. Sacco, N. Falzon, D. Aquilina, C. Magro, K. Cutajar, A. Azzopardi, C. Camilleri, K. Borg (K. Degiorgio 81 min), G. Tabone (C. Barbara 58 min).

Pembroke: K. Gerada, Y. Tonna, J.P. Mifsud Triganza, M.A. Borg, A. De Souza Caio (Z. Grech 71 min), D. Cachia (W. Chircop 62 min), M. Mifsud, N. Priso (J. Nwoba 77 min), N. Grech, G. Azzopardi, T. Fenech.

Referee: Sandro Spiteri

Ten man Zejtun save match in stoppage time

Zejtun                   3

Qrendi                  3

Ten-man Zejtun managed to score tow goals in stoppage time to earn a point against Qrendi who were making their debut in this category.

Qrendi could'nt have had a better debut scoring two goals inside the first ten minutes through a Bjorn Bondin penalty and a spectacular goal from Santos Da Hora who dribbled the whole Zejtn defence in the process.

Zejtun pulled one back on 15 minutes when ex-Hamrun striker Saturday Nanapere beat Azzopardi from the edge of the area. Zejtun's hopes were dented on 32 minutes when Luis Andre De Melo received a second booking and Qrenndi took advantage to make it three on 37 minutes thanks to a Dassier Sammut goal who slotted home from close range.

In the second half Qrendi controlled with relative ease even though Zejtun attacked for long stretches. On 90 minutes substitute Paul Lapira pulled one back following a melee in front of goal and two minutes in stoppage time Zejtun obtained a dramatic equaliser through Neil Tabone.

Zejtun C: D. Zarb, C. Giordmaina (M. Ciantar), E. Vella, Y. Camilleri, A. Scozzese, B. Farrugia, M. Brincat (P. Lapira), N. Tabone, A. Carabott (E. Vella), L.A. De Melo, S. Nanapere

Qrendi: J. Azzopardi, M. Barbara, P. Mrvic, L. Scorfna, E. Amaira, J. Spiteri, D. Sammut (K. Abela), D. Santos Da Hora, B. Bondin (D. Zarb), S. Nakamura, T. D'Amato

Referee: Fiodor Zammit

Polished Pieta brush Rabat aside

Pieta H                  4

Rabat A                0

A polished Pieta side yesterday easily disposed of Rabat in a match dominated by Ramon Zammit's boys. Rabat had some good flashes but it was too little to stop the well organised and already in-form Pieta side.

Pieta broke the deadlock on 27 minutes when ex-Rabat striker Lawrence Chiedozie fired home from close range an inviting cross from Svein Bartolo. Just before the break Neil Pace Cocks with a good shot from the edge of the area.

On 58 minutes Pieta increased their lead again through Lawrence Chiedozie who hammered in the rebound after his first header was well saved by Zammit. On 65 minutes Neil Pace Cocks drilled the ball home following a good run on the right by Chiedozie, and ten minutes from time Chedozie notched his hat trick after a good move with Dylan Agius.

Pieta H: M. Montfort, S. Bartolo, J. Rui Perez, C. Grech, G. Spiteri, D. Agius, A. Mizzi, N. Pace Cocks (J. Busuttil 78 min), L. Chiedozie, Q. Bregman (R. Grixti 87 min), J.M. Artiaga (N. Pisani 62 min).

Rabat A: A. Zammit, J. Caruana, S. Gauci, A. Smeir (K. Muscat 84 min), D. Falzon, W. Borg (N. Attard 64 min), K. Drakard (S. Abela 84 min), C. Vella, A. Azzopardi, D. Azzopardi, Z. Tanti.

Referee: Darko Stankovic

San Gwann and Vittoriosa prove a point

San Gwann         2

Vittoriosa S         2

Newly promoted San Gwann and Vittoriosa produced some very good football in an entertaining match that also produced four goals. The result was a fair one too as neither side deserved to leave the pitch empty handed.

On 23 minutes San Gwann took the lead when from a Dylan Sammut freekick, Vittoriosa custodian Galea completely mis-timed his sortie and Thiago Lopes De Souza was on the right spot to score from an acute angle.

On 65 minutes Vittoriosa drew level when Liam Gauci scored direct from a freekick from a very acute angle.

Eleven minutes from time, almost against the run of play San Gwann were back in front when Ryan Zammit passed to the onrushing Joao Claudio Kiala, and the substitute made no mistake with a precise grounder.

Vittoriosa however were not to be denied and they obtained a deserved equaliser four minutes from time when Obiefule passed towards Clive Spiteri whose grounder from the edge of the area found its way to the corner of the net.

San Ġwann: E. Bartolo, M. Kura (J.C. Kiala), J. Tanti (I. Caruana), A. Borg, R. Zammit, J. Azzopardi, S. Vella, M.A. Arteta Suarez, T.L. De Soiuza, A. Cachia (J. Bowman), D. Sammut.

Vittoriosa S: D. Galea, C.J. Suarez Leon, C. Spiteri, L. Gauci, J.J. Ogunuppe (E. Goodman), J.C. Galea (D. Pisani), J. Pace, A. Farrugia, O. Obiefule, T. Abela Wilson, G. Sultana.

Referee: Alex Johnson

Yankam header seals it for Qormi

Marsa                   2

Qormi                   3

A Yankam header fifteen minutes from time proved to be the winner for Qormi yesterday as they defeated Marsa in a highly entertaining game. The match had a brilliant start with four goals scored inside the first 22 minutes.

Against the run of play Marsa took the lead on 16 minutes when Charles Newuche scored a gem of a goal from over thirty meters with Qormi goalkeeper Jamie Azzopardi caught out of position.

But Marsa's joy was shortlived as sixty seconds later Qormi drew level when Lubos Adamec headed home a Matombo corner kick. Qormi surged forward for more but were unlucky a minute later when Caetano Da Silva was put through by Yankam but his scorcher slammed against the crossbar.

On 21 minutes Qormi took a deserved lead with yet another great goal. Once again it was the ex-Naxxar defender Lubos Adamec who scored a majestic goal direct from a freekick from around 35 meters.

But sixty seconds later Marsa were back in business with another great goal. Emerson Bonello crossed from the right and Mark Gauci first timed beautifully in the top corner of the net.

Qormi scored the winner on 74 minutes when from a corner action Yannick Yankam headed home from close range.

Marsa: A. Galea, E. Grech, M. Busuttil, B. Essel, N. Micallef, M. Dimitrijevic (D. Galubovic), J. Farrugia, M. Gauci, C. Newuche, D. Pirotta, E. Bonello (R. Mercieca).

Qormi: J. Azzopardi,  J.L. Caetano Da Silva, Y. Yankam (N. Ghio), L. Busuttil, D. Vukovic, L. Adamec, B. Grech, A. Balea, C.Z. Matombo (J. Salaroli), A. Cassar, M. Camilleri (T. Guzman).

Referee: Jude Amin Utulu

Sirens grab points with second half burst

Sirens                    4

Melita                   0

A second half early flurry gave Sirens the first win of the season againt Melita in an entertaining game. The first half was a balanced affair but on the resumption Sirens scored three quick goals that put the issue beyond doubt.

Six minutes into the second half Sirens took the lead when Galea passed towards Daniel Agius who made no mistake in front of goal. Two minutes later Melita almost drew level but Jean Pierre Attard's shot hit the crossbar. On 58 minutes Sirens where on the mark again with Daniel Agius obtaining his brace.

Sirens were now all over the place and made it three on 62 minutes with a great move between Agius and Galea and with OBAJE finishing off from close range. Deep in stoppage time Sirens scored a fourth goal when substitute Michael Micallef slotted home from close range following a good run from ex-Senglea player Obaje.

Sirens: S. Cini, L. Zammit, B. Kremanovic, D. Sant, R. Previ, I. Curmi (J.N. Azzopardi), D. Medic, R. Sciberras (C. Caruana), D. Agius (M. Micallef), G. Galea, A. Obaje.

Melita: N. Charnock, D. Cutajar, J. Abela, R. Parrado, K. Pace, E. Cornago (T. Singleton), M. Russo (M. Galea), J.P. Attard, L. Micallef, L. Mifsud, A. Xuereb (N. Bradshaw).

Referee: Ishmael Barbara

Positive start for Zebbug

Mqabba 1

Zebbug R 3

Zebbug Rangers started on the right track yesterday defeating Mqabba 3-1 in an entertaining match between two teams that have all credentials to fight for promotion.

Mqabba did the early running but Zebbug took the lead on 27 minutes when from a corner action Rafael Da Silva Gomes headed home.

Mqabba had a good reaction bu Zebbug were always menacing in their breaks and on 61 minutes Zebbug doubled the score when in a fast counter breakJurgen Suda passed towards Larson Mallia who kept his cool to beat Debono.

Mqabba received a life line seven minutes from time when they were awarded a penalty for a handling infringement and from the penalty spot Paul Chimezie made no mistake.

Mqabba now pushed everything forward but Winston Muscat's side sealed the issue on 87 minutes in another fast break with Fagbeja put through Attard, and the ex-Gharghur striker made no mistake.

Mqabba: J. Debono, A. Scicluna, S. Buhagiar (D. Falzon), L. Casha, K. Farrugia, T. Trebovac (R. Mandic), P. Chimezie, G. Gesualdi, R. Tanti (G. Micallef), L. Micallef, N. Ojuola.

Żebbuġ R: J. Farrugia, R. Da Silva Gomes, M. Attard, S. Schembri, M. Bonnici, C. Gauci, F. Gusman, L. Mallia, M. Fagbeja (S. Borg), A. Curmi, J. Suda (A. Micallef)

Referee: Darryl Agius


  • don't miss