The Malta Independent 18 June 2019, Tuesday

BOV Div I: Late recovery from Pembroke as an early goal paves way for Pieta’s easy victory

Tuesday, 6 March 2018, 23:30 Last update: about 2 years ago

Melita   1

Pembroke 1

Pembroke scored a late equaliser to dent Melita’s hopes of an important victory which would have been precious for them. Melita were the better team in the first half, taking a deserved lead, but had to defendt for long stretches after the interval.


However Melita missed two glorious chances just before Pembroke’s equaliser, who in turn could have snatched the winner in the dying minutes.

Melita did the early running having some attempts at goal inside the first ten minutes. Pembroke’s first attempt came on twelve minutes with a Priso effort going over the bar.

Melita took the lead on 20 minutes when Jean Pierre Attard headed home a Matthew Hammet cross. Pembroke made a good reaction and had shots from Chircop and Misan just missing the target.

On the resumption Mark Anthony Borg brought the best out of melita goalkeeper Grima and on 51 minutes a Warren Chicop dipper slightly missed the target. Pembroke were again menacing with a Misan grounder that was blocked by Grima.

On 69 minutes Melita had a good opportunity when from a Cornago cross, Mark Russo fired a first timer that was brilliantly saved by Gerada. Five minutes later Melita missed a sitter when Aidan Mizzi headed incredibly wide from three meters.

On 82 minutes Pembroke levelled matters when substitute Amarildo Glloga hammered home following a melee in front of goal. In the remaining minutes Pembroke went all out for victory and Yanis Tonna almost obtained a winner but his strike missed the base of the upright by a whisker.

Melita: N. Grima, R. Parrado, J. Abela, A. Mizzi, M. Galea (F. Lufi 46 min), E. Cornago, N. Bradshaw (L. Micallef 73 min), M. Russo, J.P. Attard, T. Singleton, M. Hammet (A. Borg Olivier 62 min).

Pembroke A: K. Gerada, Z. Grech (D. Cachia 76 min), A. Hili, N. Grech, M.A. Borg, T. Fenech, I. Misan, C. Alves da Souza (A. Gilloga 81 min), D. Priso, W. Chircop, M. Mifsud (Y. Tonna 62 min).

Referee: Alex Johnson


No goals in keenly contested derby

Qormi 0

Zebbug R 0

The much awaited derby between league leaders Qormi and promotion aspirants Zebbug produced no goals, and little excitment in front of goal.

However the match was liveley, keenly contested as both sides did all their best to emerge winners and give their numerous and loyal supporters something to cheer about.

But it was not to be as both sides were found wanting in attack with both defences coming on top.

Zebbug had a slight edge in the first half, but Qormi were surely the better team in the second half, putting the Zebbug defence under pressure.

Zebbug had Obaje sent off thirteen minutes from time when he elbowed Qormi’s Dejan Vukovic.

Needless to say Qormi increased their pressure with a man up, but Zebbug had their best chances with a man less.

In the first half there were some attempts at goal but no team had clear cut opportunities in front of goal.

As already stated Qormi were more aggressive and determined on the resumption with Yannick Yankam missing a golden opportunity on the hour when Caetano Da Silva was unstoppable on the left flank and passed towards Yankam who missed a good opportunity from close range.

Minutes later a Lubos Adamec freekick was brilliantly saved by Farrugia.

On 75 minutes Caetano Da Silva almost deceived Farrugia from a distance, but the Zebbug custodian quickly recovered and blocked in style.

Two minutes later Obaje was sent off with a straight red after elbowing Vukovic and Qormi were now in full forcing.

But six minutes from time Zebbug missed their best chance when Leighton Grech made way on the right flank and crossed towards Arilson Mello Da Silva who however hesitated in front of goal and was blocked by the Qormi defence.

Two minutes later the same Mello Da Silva almost made amends when his shot was deflected by Adamec, but luckily for Qormi the ball missed the crossbar by a whisker. 

Qormi: J. Azzopardi, B. Grech, L. Adamec, Y. Yankam, C. Matombo (L. Busuttil 57 min), J.L. Caetano da Silva, A. Abela, A. Cassar, D. Vukovic, T. Gusman (C. Vella 73 min), M. Camilleri (S. Zammit 90 min)

Żebbuġ R: J. Farrugia, S. Schembri, M. Bonnici, F. Guzman, R. Da Silva Gomes, C. Gauci, L. Mallia, A. Mello Da Silva, L. Grech, A. Obaje, A. Curmi.

Referee: Alan Mario Sant


Early goal paves way for Pieta’s easy victory

Qrendi 0

Pieta H 3

An early goal by Lawrence Chiedozie paved the way for another Pieta victory that consolidates their second spot in the standings.

Pieta, without Manseh and Neil Pace Cocks, fully deserved their victory after another polished display, with Qrendi never in the picture.

After only four minutes play Pieta took the lead when Lawrence Chiedozie lobbed the ball over Azzopardi.

Pieta continued to attack and a Jan Busuttil freekick went slightly over the bar.

Qrendi had an attempt through Martins Da Silva, and on the other end Chiedozie’s shot went slightly over the bar.

Two minutes into the second half Pieta doubled the score when a Busuttil cross from the right was partially cleared by the Qrendi rearguard and Juan Manuel Artiaga was on hand to put the ball at the back of the net.

On 68 minutes Pieta sealed the issue with a third goal when Busuttil crossed Chiedozie who rounded off the goalkeeper before slotting home.  

Qrendi: J. Azzopardi, D. Santos da Hora, Z. Bowman, L. Scorfna, M. Barbara, D. Zarb, T. D’Amato (M. Farrugia 63 min), J. Martins de Souza, K. Abela, A. Agius (E. Amaira 54 min), D. Martini (S. Nakamura 57 min).

Pieta H: M. Montfort, J.M. Artiaga (G. Mensah 77 min), C. Degabriele (T. Bartolo 82 min), A. Mizzi, J. Irimiya, L. Chiedozie, D. Agius (C. Gauci 88 min), A. White, C. Grech, J. Busuttil, Q. Bregman.

Referee: Etienne Mangion

  • don't miss