The Malta Independent 26 September 2018, Wednesday

Man charged with attempted murder of Hugo Chetcuti was sacked former employee

Tuesday, 10 July 2018, 10:06 Last update: about 4 months ago

The Serbian man who stands charged with the attempted murder of Paceville entrepreneur Hugo Chetcuti was a former employee who had recently been sacked, police sources have told The Malta Independent.

Chetcuti was stabbed twice in the stomach just outside one of his properties, which is located on Santa Rita Steps, on Friday night. According to reports Chetcuti yesterday underwent another surgical procedure after his condition worsened in the past few hours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Serbian national Bojan Cmelik, was charged with attempted murder. According to initial reports, Cmelik, who has no fixed address, had only been in country for a number of days. But now sources have said that the man had previously been employed at one of Chetcuti’s numerous establishments.

Chetcuti owns several nightclubs, hotels and catering venues in Paceville.

The entrepreneur was visiting one of his establishments when the accused approached him and hugged him. This, the sources say, seems to support the theory that Chetcuti knew Cmelik. Malta Today had also reported that Chetcuti had spoken to the police, telling them that the aggressor could be a former employee.

Other reports suggest that the police are exploring the possibility that Cmelik was contracted to carry out a hit on Chetcuti.

Cmelik ran away from the scene of the crime. The police, who had been given a description of the man, later spotted him in Balluta and, after a brief chase apprehended him in Triq Sant’ Elena. The Serbian man was highly aggressive and had to be tased. He suffered slight injuries and was taken for treatment.

The following morning he was arraigned for attempted murder, threatening and attacking police officers and carrying a knife without the necessary licence. Bail was not requested.

Chetcuti was hospitalized and underwent a number of surgical interventions. His condition had improved, with his brother, Isaac saying that the “worst is over.” But the Paceville boss yesterday had to undergo a new procedure after his condition took a turn for the worse.

 

Photo: Net TV

 

  • don't miss