The Malta Independent 17 June 2019, Monday

Boats carrying weapons for Libya fighting claimed to be passing through Malta

Monday, 15 April 2019, 08:56 Last update: about 3 months ago

The Libyan Obsever reports that a spokesman for Khalifa Haftar's forces, Ahmed Al-Mismari has claimed that boats carrying weapons to the "terrorist groups in Tripoli" are leaving from Turkey via Malta to the shores of Tripoli. He also claimed, according to the Libya Observer, the pilots attacking them are Italian and American mercenaries.

Al-Mismari also said the support of the UN for the Presidential Council's government will not hinder their forces' advance on Tripoli, the Libyan Observer reports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Al-Mismari accused forces loyal to the Presidential Council of targeting civilian houses, however then said that their forces are advancing under air cover.

He also call the Presidential Council forces, which is internationally recognized, as criminal gangs, adding that funding them will prolong the fighting and cause more casualties, The Libyan Observer reports.

Haftar's forces have been leading an offensive since 4 April in different southern Tripoli frontlines in an attempt to enter the capital, however they are being opposed by the Libyan Army forces which is under the command of the Presidential Council, the Libyan Observer reports.

The New York Times reports that the United Nations-backed government of Libya sought to reassure the Western Supporters by distancing itself from extremists.

The New York Times reports that some of the fighters with extremist ties, or who had been the targets of UN sanctions,  said that they were joining the fight against the attack by the Libyan militia leader. The Libyan government denied the allegations that there are fighters from terrorist organisations in their ranks.


  • don't miss