The Malta Independent 27 May 2019, Monday

Watch: Guardamangia collapse - families given alternative accommodation by contractor

Thursday, 25 April 2019, 18:52 Last update: about 1 month ago

All four families affected by Wednesday’s building collapse have been given alternative accommodation by the contractor from the adjacent site, the Housing Authority said in a statement.

The families were displaced when their apartment block collapsed late on Wednesday evening.

The Housing Authority said it had been in contact with all the relevant authorities to ensure that these families were given the necessary assistance. Its representatives were on site throughout the day.

ADVERTISEMENT

After speaking with the families, the authority will also be offering financial assistance to them, to help them purchase essential items. The financial assistance will be given out according to individual needs, it said.

The authority said it will remain in contact will all individuals involved to ensure that they receive the assistance they require.

It has also been in contact with the Parliamentary Secretary responsible for social housing, Roderick Galdes, who has been following the case.

In comments to The Malta Independent, the CEO of the Housing Authority, Leonid McKay, said that “no one will be sleeping outside tonight.”

 “We are committed to make sure that we find an alternative place for these people to stay temporarily”, he said.

  • don't miss