The Malta Independent 23 July 2019, Tuesday

Government pledges donation to rebuild lost St Publius arch

Monday, 6 May 2019, 14:21 Last update: about 4 months ago

The government, through the Good Causes Fund, is pledging to donate a sum of between €20,000 and €50,000 for the rebuilding of the St Publius Arch, which was completely destroyed by fire on 27 April.

It is believed that the 120-yaer-old structure was destroyed in an arson attack, with some news outlets reporting that it had been doused in gasoline before being set alight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Speaking at a press conference, Finance Minister Edward Scicluna said it is important that the coutnry’s heritage is protected. He said the Good Causes Fund had been convened with urgency to discuss the matter.

He explained that the government can finance up to a maximum of 66% of the total but the donation cannot exceed €50,000. He said the government had left the amount to be donated open until after the Floriana parish comes up with the estimated cost of building a new arch.

  • don't miss