The Malta Independent 20 August 2026, Thursday
View E-Paper

Police Testify in case where police car was rammed

Malta Independent Friday, 7 May 2004, 00:00 Last update: about 14 years ago

The men, Ivan Galea, 29, Anthony Zammit, 25 and 21-year-old Tristan Falzon, are denying car theft, theft of personal belongings and attempting to seriously injure two police officers on 25 April. Other charges against them include reckless driving without a licence or insurance, speeding and disobeying police orders. Zammit and Falzon are also being charged with relapsing in view of previous convictions.

In court yesterday, inspector Michael Mallia reported what Anthony Zammit, one of the accused, had said to police during questioning.

Zammit told the police that Ivan Galea had been driving the car, which had been stolen earlier that day, when the three men were cornered by a police car near Ghar Lapsi. Galea proceeded to crash into the oncoming car, he said. Tristan Falzon’s version of this part of the incident corroborated Zammit’s, said inspector Mallia.

The inspector told the court that Zammit had said that he and Ivan Galea had stolen a Ford Cortina from Birkirkara and picked up Tristan Falzon from Qormi. As they were making their way to Hamrun, they started having trouble with the car, so when they got to Hamrun, they stole another car of the same make.

After stealing the second car, Zammit said they carried out three snatch and grab attacks. They grabbed a woman’s necklace in Tarxien and two handbags – one in Birzebbuga and one in Birkirkara, the man told police.

The court was presided over by Magistrate Abigail Lofaro.

Inspectors Michael Mallia and Alex Miruzzi prosecuted while Dr Silvio Brincat, Dr Robert Abela and Dr Chris Cardona appeared for the accused.

  • don't miss