“As I explained in parliament on Monday evening, I strongly reject that I made any kind of pressure on a foreign company over the choice of the company which should represent it in Malta.”
“The allegation that S Mifsud and Sons had a contract with the company that is operating at the Malta Freeport is not true. In fact, I am informed that the company sent a letter to SMS in which it says that what it (SMS) was doing (spreading these allegations) was abusive. I had nothing to do with this decision and had no influence.
“When the company’s representatives were in Malta, they held several meetings with various local companies. Naturally any company has the right to take any business decisions it deems fit. It’s funny how, when someone has any connection with a minister, it’s like you have a disadvantage. Everyone has the right to work in Malta as long as it is done in transparency.”
Mr Dalli continued: “This is the usual Alfred Sant. Someone tells him something and it’s like music to his ears. He does not bother checking the information, especially in view of the fast approaching election. We know his tactics when an election approaches”.“I have often been his target and I’m still here. I don’t mind being investigated. When he was elected in 1996, he carried out investigations about my operations and all the bubbles burst in his face.”
Asked whether he was considering taking legal action against Dr Sant for these claims, Mr Dalli said he was looking into the matter. He noted, however, that Dr Sant was very careful when he was speaking about this issue and said from the outset that they were allegations. He said Dr Sant was cunning to remain on the borderline of what is libellous and what is not.
Mr Dalli reiterated that he will not be blackmailed by anybody and will continue working in the best interests of the country and its citizens.
The issue was first brought to light when reports claimed that Gauci Borda Shipping Company was chosen as the agent of the Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines (IRISL) which were already represented in Malta by SMS Shipping. The report continued by alleging that one of the directors of the Gauci Borda Shipping Company was a high-ranking official within Mr Dalli’s ministry while the company’s secretary was Mr Dalli’s daughter.
Mr Dalli said he never influenced any of IRISL’s decision on which company to choose, adding that SMS Shipping was never the company’s exclusive agent in Malta.
Meanwhile, during an activity held in Swieqi yesterday evening, Dr Sant gave his version of events in connection with the case.
Dr Sant said that the Iranian shipping line, which is rated as the 23rd largest company in the world, had agreed to work with local shipping agent SMS, which has been trading with Iran for 25 years.
Dr Sant said that he is answering the prime minister’s call for information by giving a detailed account of the case.
On 28 February, Dr Gonzi won the first round of the party leadership elections and John Dalli left the contest. On 3 March, Dr Gonzi was appointed leader of the Nationalist Party and on 4 March a delegation from Iran representing IRISL arrived in Malta to discuss the transshipment of a large number of containers through the Freeport which had been planned for a number of months.
The delegation was brought to Malta by SMS, who had been representing this company for 25 years and had all preparations in hand.
Dr Sant said that when SMS officials went to the airport to meet the delegation from Iran, they found that the delegation had been met by Minister John Dalli and had passed through the VIP lounge.
The Labour leader said SMS officials were barely able to meet any of the members of the Iranian delegation as they were being
kept under what he cautiously termed as
“surveillance”.
Dr Sant said that the Malta Labour Party has more information regarding the case and it is ready to divulge such information to the prime minister if proper investigations are launched.