The Malta Independent 22 August 2026, Saturday
View E-Paper

‘All Together now’ – Jason Micallef

Malta Independent Monday, 12 March 2007, 00:00 Last update: about 13 years ago

Malta Labour Party secretary general Jason Micallef yesterday appealed for all the party’s supporters to truly take up the slogan “All together now” and work together to fulfil the dream of a new Labour government.

Speaking to a mass of supporters sporting the socialists’ red colours, Mr Micallef said that it was now time for the MLP to turn the general public’s thirst for a new government into reality.

“The people want the government to make way. That is their message. But in order to fulfill their aspirations, we must build on the rhythm of five successive electoral victories – all together now!”

Mr Micallef’s speech, punctuated by chants of “Viva Labour” and “Altogether now”, focused on the fact that the people of Malta and Gozo had consecutively voted for Labour, meaning that they wanted a change in government.

“But now it is time to turn all that into something concrete. We must turn our planning into a solid and real project: Project Malta,” he said.

Mr Micallef said the road that led to five electoral successes had been a long one. “But that long road will lead us all the way up the steps of Castille,” he said.

Deputy leader Michael Falzon thanked everyone who was involved in the local council elections and especially those who voted for Labour. “We increased from a relative majority to consecutive absolute majorities and that is a message from the people. There are no Nationalist fortresses left, only villages, towns and cities that are open for the Malta Labour Party to convince that we are not only an alternative to government, but a far, far better proposition,” he said.

Dr Falzon said that the MLP kept its feet on the ground and listened to people from all walks of life. “We will not promise what we cannot deliver. We want to give this country the change it deserves,” he said.

Deputy leader Charles Mangion also spoke and said that this electoral victory meant that change was in the air. “And I have a message to Maltese and Gozitan families. Your aspirations are our aspirations. That is what we stand for, improving the quality of life of all those who deserve better,” he said.

He said that the people were sick of incompetence, waste, broken promises and arrogance. “Our only question when we are in government is going to be: How is this decision going to affect the lives of ordinary families and citizens?”

“Today there is no longer the distinction of the north being Nationalist and the south being Labourite. Today there is only Malta and a Malta that is open to Labour,” he said.

Dr Alfred Sant also briefly addressed the rally, mostly repeating what he had said earlier during the press conference, and in a jovial mood said that whoever was not against the MLP was with them. “Join us as many others have. Come into our home and feel like you belong. Many others have done it, even staunch PN supporters. My message is short and clear: Employment, protection and dignity – choose Labour,” concluded Dr Sant.

  • don't miss