Bank of Valletta said on Friday that it is already receiving new business requests from customers operating in the Libyan market and is actively looking at expanding its operations in Libya as stability continues to be restored.
BOV CEO Charles Borg, in his address to the New Libya Forum this week, highlighted that Bank of Valletta was the first bank to open a representative office in Libya in 2002 with a view to promoting trade between the two countries and assist business transactions to and from Malta.
Mr Borg said that throughout the conflict in Libya, and since then, Bank of Valletta continued to retain its commitment to support its clients in a tangible manner. He expressed his confidence that the Libyan authorities are already in the process of putting in place a stable regulatory framework that would encourage and facilitate commercial transactions and confirmed that the renewed business interest that the bank is evidencing is positive testimony in this regard.
Participants at the conference included CEOs, business executives and professionals who plan to invest in Libya. Various economic sectors were represented including oil and gas, banking and insurance, trade, investment and law.