The Malta Independent 19 August 2026, Wednesday
View E-Paper

Champions League: Quarter-final spot in sight for Monaco; Atletico host Leverkusen

Associated Press Tuesday, 17 March 2015, 13:59 Last update: about 12 years ago

For Arsenal, the equation is quite simple: Write a page of Champions League history or endure another early exit from Europe's top competition.

No team has managed to progress after losing at home by more than two goals since the inception of the tournament in 1992, a feat that the Gunners are now forced to achieve when they travel to Monaco following a 3-1 loss at the Emirates in the first leg.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, who coached Monaco for seven years, has led the Premier League side to this stage of the lucrative tournament 15 straight times but his players did not make it to the quarterfinals in the past four years.

Despite the fact that that Monaco is arguably the best defensive team in Europe, with only 20 goals conceded in 28 games so far in the French league, Wenger remains confident he can overturn the deficit.

"I'd prefer to be 3-0 up but we have no choice. We have to put it right. Sometimes in life, you make a big mistake, and there's no comeback, no way you get the chance to put it right again," Wenger said. "In football, you can do it, so let's just give everything to do it."

A year after reaching the Champions League final, Atletico Madrid is dropping down the standings in Spain and facing elimination from Europe.

Atletico needs to overturn a one-goal deficit against Bayer Leverkusen in the second leg on Tuesday to reach the quarterfinals.

"We have to keep going, roll up our sleeves, prepare Tuesday's match and work," Atletico coach Diego Simeone said. "That is the only way we know to improve."

Here are some things to know about Tuesday's match:

Atletico, the defending champion in the Spanish league, surrendered third place in the standings after draws against Valencia and Espanyol.

Atletico played much of the match against Espanyol with 10 men after defender Miranda was sent off in the first half for knocking Abraham Gonzalez out with an elbow to the head.

Simeone credited Espanyol goalkeeper Kiko Casilla for keeping his team from victory.

"We did a fantastic job and with 10 men we could have won the match, but Casilla performed brilliantly," Simeone said.

Leverkusen warmed up for Tuesday's visit to the Vicente Calderon Stadium with a 4-0 rout of Stuttgart in the Bundesliga on Friday.

It was the team's fifth consecutive victory without conceding goal - a run that started with the 1-0 win over Atletico in the first leg.

"I think that (win over Stuttgart) gives us the bit of confidence we need to fly to Madrid, where a much harder task awaits us," Leverkusen general manager Michael Schade said.

 

 

 

 

  • don't miss