The Malta Independent 23 September 2019, Monday

BOV Premier League: Second half goals prove decisive in low-key affair

Simon Farrugia Saturday, 15 December 2018, 18:06 Last update: about 10 months ago

Pieta H.                0
Sliema W.            3       

Pieta H.  :   N. Vella, T. Ose, T. Bartolo, N. Pace Cocks, D. Agius, P. Chimezie (S. Nakamura 68') , J. Busuttil (N. Pisani 82') , G. Mensah, C. Grech, I. Jalo ( C. Degabriele 82') , A. Macedo

Sliema W. :   J. Galea, M. Muchardi, K. Shaw, J. Mintoff (M. Sansone 82') , M. Scerri (P. Xuereb 77') , J. De Assis (S. Cassar 85')  , N. Ashong, F. Temile, K. Amehi, S. Biancardi, Y. Marzouk

Referee:   Mario Apap

Asst refs:    Chris Francalanza, Roberto Vella

4th official:   Alex Johnson

Scorers:  J. De Assis 58' , N. Ashong 63', Y. Marzouk 75'

Yellow cards:  M.Scerri, D. Agius, N. Pace Cocks

Player of the match:   Y. Marzouk  (Sliema W.)

TMI Top 3:  1.  Y. Marzouk  2.  J. De Assis    3.  N. Ashong

Attendance:  359  

Sliema registered their eight win with two second half goals scored in the space of five minutes paving their way to a comfortable win. Though they were the superior outfit they failed miserably in the first half which was rather dull.

For Pieta this was their third consecutive defeat and following Mosta's win over Qormi they have now dropped to twelfth place and in the relegation zone.

Prior to this match the Wanderers were holding fourth place together with Balzan and Hamrun Spartans. Their problem is mainly converting into goals since they have only had managed an average of just over a goal per match.

On the other hand the Hotspurs are the best finishers from amongst the bottom six teams but have let in an average of two goals per match.

Sliema were coming from a 3-1 defeat against Balzan and lately have been rather inconsistent. Pieta lost their last match against Hamrun Spartans by a 3-2 scoreline and have only won one of their last six matches.

John  Buttigieg was  missing Ryan Fenech once again with Ramon Zammit having the full compliment at his disposal.

In the third minute a diagonal shot by Jefferson De Assis was saved by Vella. With Sliema holding the upper hand inside the first minutes when off a Mintoff cross from the right flank Marzouk headed just over the bar.

Pieta went forward for the first time on 28 minutes but Pace Cocks shot was rather weak with Galea saving with ease.

In the 33rd minute Amehi's corner was met by Marzouk only for his header to be saved by Vella. And a minute from the end of the first half Muchardi's uprising shot scraped the crossbar. The half time whistle was welcomed by both team and moreover by the few spectators present at the Centenary Stadium who braved the cold weather.

The second half followed the same pattern as the first forty five minutes with both teams failing to reach the desired levels. But it was the Wanderers who broke the deadlock in the 58th minute when a Marzouk free kick was partially saved by Vella and from the rebound in came Jefferson De Assis who slotted the ball past the Hotspurs goalkeeper.

And in the 63rd minute Sliema sealed the issue when off a Jefferson De Assis cross from the left flank the ball made it's way all along the area with Nortey Ashong volleying home. 

The Blues kept on dictating matters and it was no surprise when in the 75th minute through Younes Marzouk whose low drive from inside the area left Vella stranded.

Six minutes from the end of the match Sliema missed to strike the poker when Muchardi was unlucky when his low shot from just inside the area hit the foot of the upright. With the final whistle welcomed by the Wanderers who have finished the first round on a high after a rather inconsistent period.

  • don't miss