The Malta Independent 10 December 2019, Tuesday

BOV Premier League: 10-man Gudja beat Tarxien with late Jimenez strike

Henry Brincat Saturday, 9 November 2019, 16:02 Last update: about 30 days ago
Photos: Domenic Aquilina
Photos: Domenic Aquilina

Gudja          3
Tarxien       2

Gudja: J. Debono, Z. Cassar, M. Attard, A. Friggieri (J. Brincat 71), R. Winchester (PP Sammut 81), G. Mensah, A. De Barros, MA Jimenez, H. Vella, L. Cremona (C. Santana 58), JA Bolanos

Tarxien: R. Briffa, T. Veronese, B. Muscat, M. Murillo (M. Ciantar 45), A. Andrejic, G. Camilleri, S. Shaba (A. Shaba 87), M. Stanojevic, N. Portelli (JA Tenorio 54), P. Kanzurov, D. Zerafa

Referee: E. Mangion

Asst refs: R. Vella, J. Muscat

4th official: P. Slobodan

Scorers: R. Winchester 1, A. Andrijic 26, 51, D. Zerafa og. 75, M. Jimenez 90,

Yellow cards: M. Stanojevic 33, Z. Cassar 54, B. Muscat 79

Red card: M. Attard 64

BOV Player of the Match: Aleksa Andrejic

TMI Top 3: 1. A. Andrejic, 2. R. Winchester, 3. A. De Barros

The 10-man Gudja fought back from 1-2 behind to beat bottom placed Tarxien Rainbows 3-2 yesterday in an important relegation zone clash.

An added time strike by Miguel Antonio Jimenez enabled them to grab all the three points. After taking an early lead through Winchester, Andrijic scored twice for Tarxien to put them 2-1 ahead, but an own goal from Zerafa and a late strike from Jimenez saw Gudja emerging winners.

Gudja now move onto the 10-point mark while Tarxien remain pointless at the bottom after 10 matches.

Gudja stunned Tarxien with a goal after just 22 seconds, but from then on, it was mostly Tarxien who dictated play, backed by the strong wind at their back.

In fact, the Rainbows richly deserved the equaliser they scored on 26 minutes as they penned Gudja in their area for long stretches.

The latter, however, did not stare at their opponents either. In fact, whenever they had the chance they tried to move forward through Mensah and Winchester, but the wind did not help much and most of their attempts vanished into thin air.

The 1-1 score at the end of the first 45 minutes was a fair result.

In the second half, Tarxien surprised their opponents when they took the lead and appeared to be well in control, especially after Gudja had Miguel Attard sent off in the 64th minute.

But after that incident, Gudja regrouped and, aided by the wind, they moved forward and managed to score a deserved equaliser, before eventually obtaining all the three points through that Jimenez strike in added time.

Gudja took only 22 seconds to take the lead. Rundell Winchester made the most of a lapse by Tarxien defender Daniel Zerafa and advanced to beat the onrushing Rudy Briffa.

Tarxien replied in the 6th minute through an Aleksa Andrijic cornerkick, which was turned to corner with some difficulty by Gudja goalie Jonathan Debono.

The Rainbows, backed by the wind, assaulted the Gudja goal in search of an equaliser and it was Aleksa Andrijic who eventually equalised direct from a cornerkick which surprised friend and foe, including goalie Jonathan Debono.

Gudja again went close in the 36th minute through a fine rising shot from just outside the area by Gabriel Mensah which ended just over the bar.

Till the end of the half, Tarxien insisted on attack, but Gudja remained calm and well organised at the back and avoided further anxious moments.

Tarxien took the lead in the 51st minute. Andrijic received a good ball on the left flank, entered the Gudja area and dribbled round his direct opponent before lobbing the ball into the far corner.

In the 63rd minute, Tarxien threatened again. It was substitute Jairo Tenorio who had a shot deviated to corner by a Gudja defender.

Moments later, Gudja almost equalised but an Anderson De Barros effort went just wide.

In the 73rd minute, Ciantar served Stiv Shaba but the latter's effort went wide. Soon after, it was Shaba who set Andrijic in the area, but face to face with Briffa, he had his effort blocked by the Gudja goalie.

In the 75th minute, Gudja equalised. From a cross by substitute Santana, it was Daniel Zerafa who was unlucky to head into his own net.

Two minutes from normal time, Tarxien again had a chance to get a winner, but Andrejic's effort was central and weak with goalie Debono saving with ease.

Gudja scored their winner in added time when goalie Briffa partially saved a Peter Paul Sammut shot and Miguel Jimenez hit home the rebound.

Senglea tried to save the game in the final two minutes but an Andrijic effort was well saved by goalie Debono.

  • don't miss