The Malta Independent 10 December 2019, Tuesday

BOV Div. I: Zebbug crush Pembroke in second half; Late equaliser for Fgura

Chris Cassar Sunday, 10 November 2019, 17:23 Last update: about 30 days ago

Pembroke A-Zebbug R      0-4

Pembroke A: P. Schranz, Y. Shaba (T. Muscat 82'), A. Vujovic, M. Brincat, M. Zarb (N. Frendo 61'), J.P. Mifsud Triganza, G. Azzopardi, T. Fenech, A. Sultana, J.P. Oliveira Santos, Y. Tonna.

Żebbuġ R: M. Grech, D. Fava, R. Vella, R. Zammit, S. Buhagiar (K. Tanti 88'), S. Nanapere (O. Busuttil 89'), M. Fagbeja, C. Brincat, W. Borg (J. Farrugia 76'), N. Ojuola, G. Gesualdi.

Referee: Alex Johnson

Zebbug obtained a crushing victory over Pembroke thanks to four goals scored after the break. The match was played mainly in midfield in the first half with practically no shots at goal, but then the game burst to life in the second half.

Pembroke missed a sitter at the start of the second half, and were made to pay for their miss as Zebbug took the lead on 55 minutes when Noah Ojuola scored from close range. On 69 minutes Zebbug made it two when Nanapere scored direct from a freekick.

Twelve minutes from time Zebbug sealed the issue when Muda Fagbeja scored from close range following a Nanapere run on the right, with the same Nanapere scoring the fourth and final goal three minutes from time.


St.George’s-Fgura U         1-1

St.Georges: J. Azzopardi, A. Hili, L. Bonett, S. Perdomo, D. Caruana, C. Cassar, G. D’Amato, L. Cutajar, J. Dalli (M. Uritani), J. Grech, A. Nagbe.

Fgura U: L. Moore, P. Chircop (T. Grech), J. Stenson, J. Barbara, G. Martin, C. Gandini, J. Vella, S. Hili (G. Galea), C. Valero Gonzales (D. Cartella), A. Toncheff.

Referee: Darryl Agius.

Fgura obtained a late equaliser against St. George’s in a balanced affaiur with both goals coming in the second half. Both teams are in the lower places in the table, and both were in need of points.

In the end the result can be considered a fair one as no team deserved to leave the pitch empty handed.

Goal mouth actions were scarce especially in the first half, but on 52 minutes St.George’s opened the score when Caruana crossed towards Perdomo who dribbled past two defenders before putting at the back of the net.

Two minutes later Fgura were unlucky when a Gilbert Martin shot hit the upright but nine minutes from time Fgura obtained a deserved equaliser when Philip Chircop beat Azzopardi with an angled drive.


Lija A-Swieqi U  2-2

Lija A: L. Bonnici, C. Cassar, L. Muscat, E. Beu, A. Azzopardi (D. Scerri 63'), M. Clinch, K. Seakanyeng, C. Giordimaina, A. Galea, C. Gauci, M. Palomino (H. Wood 83')

Swieqi U: E. Gatt, L. Grech (A. Schembri Wismayer 70'), K. Sultana, G. Bugeja, F. Nunes Fernandes, S. Bugeja, M. De Albuquerqe (M. Ivanovic 81'), T. Ayorinde (S. Ibrahim 60'), J. Azzopardi, R. Taliana, D. Borg.

Referee: Ezekiel Barbara

After suffering their first defeat in their last outing, league leaders lost further ground yesterday when they scraped to a 2-2 draw against lowly Swieqi, with the leageu leaders playing the last fifteen minutes of the match with ten men.

Lija took an early lead when Erjon Beu was tripped inside the area after only two minutes, with the same Beu scoring his twelfth goal of the season. Swieqi had some good efforts and scored the equaliser on 37 minutes from another penalty, when Nunes Fernandes was pushed in the area, and from the penalty spot Rodrick Taliana scored with a low drive.

Two minutes into the second half Lija were back in front when Leon Muscat headed home a Beu corner, but on 70 minutes Swieqi again drew level when Shaun Bugeja headed home from another corner.

Six minutes later Lija were down to ten men when Clinch received a second booking. Swieqi pressed for the winner but coul not get past Bonnici.

  • don't miss