The Malta Independent 16 December 2019, Monday

BOV Div. I: Three late goals decide in Pieta’s favour; precious last gasp win for struggling Stars

Chris Cassar Sunday, 24 November 2019, 19:08 Last update: about 21 days ago

Pieta H-Fgura U      2-1

Pieta H: M. Chetcuti, T. Bartolo, N. Pace Cocks, J. Ghio, D. Vukovic, C. Bouvet (S. Pisani 87'), C. Gauci, N. Pisani (J. Scicluna 65'), J. Lucas Caetano, S. Mizzi, Q. Bregman.

Fgura U: L. Moore, P. Chircop, J. Stenson, J. Barbara, G. Martin, O. Mifsud (S. Hili 79'), J.R. Vella, S. Borg, C. Valero Gonzales (M. Vella 90'), A. Toncheff, G. Galea (D. Cartella 62').

Referee: Daniel Casha

Scorers: Jose Lucas Caetano 78' pen (P), James Scicluna 81' (P), Alejandro Toncheff 84' pen (F)

Pieta kept up the pace with the leading pack, having the better of a never say die Fgura by the odd goal in three. The match was decided with three goals in the space of six minutes in the final minutes of the match.

The match was a balanced one and Fgura surely did not deserve to leave the pitch empty handed. However this defeat leaves Fgura dangerously at the lower end of the table, but yesterday's performance augurs well for this side.

Just before the break Fgura were denied by Pieta defender Sheldon Mizzi who cleared off the goal line. Twelve minutes from time Pieta were awarded a penalty for a foul on Vukovic and Lucas caetano made no mistake.

Two minutes later James Scicluna doubled the score with a powerful low drive, and a further two minutes and Fgura were back with a chance when Toncheff converted from the penalty spot, but in the remaining minutes Fgura were unable to snatch an equaliser. 


Zebbug R-Mqabba          1-0

Zebbug R.: M.Grech, D.Fava, R.Vella, G.Gesualdi, C.Brincat, R.Zammit, W.Borg (J.Farrugia 79), N.Ojuola, S.Buhagiar, S.Nanapere, M.Fagbeja (S.Darmanin 92).

Mqabba: F.Tabone, M.Caruana, L.Farrugia (C.Cutajar 85), J.Micallef, N.Micallef, K.Camilleri, K.Magro, K.Xuereb, A.Makela (A.Ferreira 87), I.A.Margarit (Y.Omuro 69), P.Chimezie

Referee: Slawomir Olucha

Scorer: Saturday Nanapere 77'.

Zebbug beat Mqabba to stay in touch with the leading pack in this season's 1st Division. A deserved but hard-fought win as the green boys of Clive Mizzi clearly created the most goalscoring opportunities throughout the encounter, with Saturday Nanapere as their match winner.

With the wind in their backs, Zebbug were clearly the better team in the first half, especially in terms of ball possession. On the half hour mark, an Andrely Makela on the edge of the box free-kick was halted by Matthew Grech and Paul Chimezie headed just over the crossbar from the rebound.

In the 77th minute Zebbug scored what proved to be the decisive goal. A Nanapere cross-shot from the left completely surprised Mqabba goalkeeper Tabone, with the ball bouncing into the net via the post. Mqabba's reaction was poor, as their strikers couldn't trouble the Zebbug defence during the remaining time left.


Swieqi U-Vittoriosa S             1-2

Swieqi U: E.Gatt, J.Azzopardi, M.Ivanovic, K.Sultana, K.Muscat, D.Borg, G.Bugeja (M.Farrugia 75), A.Schembri-Wismayer, R.Taliana, F.Fernandes (T.Ayorinde 90), I.Salis (M.De Albuquerque 75)

Vittoriosa S: M.Moyano, C.Spiteri, J.Briffa, O.Sidibe, K.Vella, G.Sultana, D.Tabone, M.Lamlun (A.Ellul 77), L.Casha (J.Attard 46), O.Guerrero (P.Papadakis 101), K.Abela.

Referee: Johannes Schipke (Germany)

A late added-time header by Guinean centre-back Ousmane Sidibe gave Vittoriosa Stars a much needed and moral lifting win in their battle against relegation. It was a balanced match with Swieqi seeing more of the ball but not taking their chances. About twelve minutes extra time was played as the match needed to be interrupted early in the second half due torrential rainfall and lightning at Ta' Qali.

Vittoriosa Stars took the lead on 33 minutes thanks to a wonderful strike from man of the match Sidibe, who beat Swieqi goalkeeper Edward Gatt with a shot from the edge of the box after a corner-kick from the right. Five minutes before the break, Swieqi drew level. A cross from Felipe Fernandes was rounded off by Ibrahim Salis from close range.

Swieqi pressured the Vittoriosa rear-guard in the second half, with Vittoriosa Stars goalkeeper Martin Moyano making some superb saves to deny Swieqi a second goal. Swieqi attacked during the last twenty minutes of the game, but it was Sidibe who scored a late goal for Vittoriosa and the three points for the troubled side, a much needed win for Ivan Zammit's team.

  • don't miss