The Malta Independent 8 August 2020, Saturday

FA Trophy: Second-half show puts Hibernians into next round; Falcone strikes late for Birkirkara

Sunday, 1 December 2019, 23:31 Last update: about 9 months ago
Photo: James Galea
Photo: James Galea

Zejtun C           0
Hibernians       3

Zejtun C.: Christian Cassar, Josmar Galea, kane Paul Farrugia, Jeremy Busuttil, lesley Cassar Jackson, Dylan Agius, Joseph Jojo Ogunnupe, Jurgen Suda (Ryan Spiteri 68'), Robeiro do Nascimento Santos, Daniel Sowatey, Rafael de Fex Mariaga (Adrian Carabott 72')

Hibernians : Matthew Calleja Cremona, Timothy Tabone Desira (Leonardo Nanni 26') , Ferdinando Apap, Jens Wemmer, Marcio Leandro Barbosa da Silveira, Joseph Mbong, Terrence Groothusen (Jurgen Degabriele 68'), Dunstan Vella, Gabriel Izquier, Andrei Agius, Imanol Iriberri (Myles Beerman 68')


Referee: Ishmael Barbara

Assistant Referees: Luke Portelli, Duncan Spencer

Fourth Official: Slobodan Petrovic

Hibernians made it to the next round of the FA Trophy when they easily disposed of Zejtun Corinthians by three goals to nil.  Though they were by far superior to their opponents, Hibernians had to wait till the early stages of the second half to break the stalemate.

Hibernians presently hold onto fifth place in the Premier League and lately have gained momentum winning three of their last four matches. They are five points adrift of leaders Floriana.

As for Zejtun Corinthians they lie in second place in the BOV First Division just a point behind leaders Lija Athletic. In the second round they defeated Naxxar Lions by a 2-1 scoreline.

After a goalless first half Hibernians forged ahead in the 54th minute through Andrew Agius. Hibernians doubled their lead two minutes later through Terrence Groothusen with the same playing putting the issue beyond doubt when he found the net in the 64th minute.

Hibernians will now take on Pembroke Athleta in the fourth round.


Birkirkara            1
Nadur Y               0

Birkirkara :  Andrew Hogg, Enrico Pepe, Matthew Guillaumier, Edison Luis Dos Santos (Michael Mifsud 66'), Maurizo Vella, Kurt Zammit, Roderick Briffa, Federico Falcone, Henrique Prado Caio (Y.Yankam 90'), Oscar Matias Carniello, Isaac Ntow

Nadur Y: Steve Sultana, Gennaro Hili, Luke Tabone, Ian Xuereb, Predrag Dordevic, Marcelo Barbosa, Shaun Attard, Stefan Cassar, Elkin Serrano Valero, Hugo Santa Rosa Cruz, Emerson Marcelina

Referee: Alan Mario Sant

Assistant Referees: Roberto Vella, Ivan Galea

Fourth Official: Trustin Farrugia Cann

A last minute goal from Birkirkara striker Federico Falcone put the Stripes into the next round and was a killer blow for Nadur Youngsters.  The Stripes had an edge over their opponents but the Gozitans gave a good account of themselves.

Lately the Stripes have gained some ground after a rather bumpy start winning their last two matches and climbing to eight place in the Premier League.

Nadur are presently runaway leaders of the Gozo Football League First Division with maximum points at their disposal, five wins from as many matches. In the previous rounds they defeated Oratory Youths 4-0 and Vittoriosa Stars 3-0.

The first half was restricted to a couple of chances from Birkirkara with Falcone heading just over the bar a Giullaumier. And nearing the end of the first half a Briffa low shot was saved by Sultana.

The second half was more entertaining with Birkirkara being the most adverturous. And a minute from the end they scored the all important goal when off an Ntow cross from the left flank in came Federico Falcone who slided the ball into the net.

In the Fourth Round Birkirkara will face Mosta.


Rabat A               0

Mosta                   7

Rabat A: A. Zammit (L. Borg 68'), M. Borg, I. Micallef (D. Falzon 53'), J. Caruana, L. Vella, A. Azzopardi, K. Muscat, A. Jimenez, K. Camilleri, S. Abela, Z. Tanti.

Mosta: A. Vella, D. Nworah, W. Gomes (D. Bonnici 58'), D. Xuereb, K. Gatt, J. Diouf, T. Farrugia, D. Brown (C. Grech 58'), L. Villareal (N. Kotlov 81'), M. Muchardi, Z. Brincat.

Referee: Stefan Pace

Scorers: M. Muchardi 14', Z. Brincat 27', 49', 80', D. Xuereb 42', J. Diouf 54', 75'

Mosta strolled through to the fourth round of the FA Trophy, easily disposing of second division side Rabat Ajax in a one-sided affair that was settled in the first half.

From the start, Mosta were in Rabat's half as Mark Miller's boys immediately set the pace in search for an early goal. Mosta broke the deadlock on 14 minutes when Brincat passed towards Muchardi who beat Zammit from an acute angle.

Mosta continued to attack and had some near misses too before making it two on 27 minutes when Gomes passed towards Zachary Brincat who easily rounded a defender before putting at the back of the net.

Three minutes from the break the game was dead and buried when Gomes passed towards Dexter Xuereb who darted inside the box to beat Zammit with a precise drive.

Four minutes into the second half Zachary Brincat scored a great goal with a shot on the turn and on 55 minutes Diouf made it five hitting home from close range. The same player score his second goal on 75 minutes when he headed home from close range the sixth goal.

Ten minutes from time Zachary Brincat obtained his hat trick firing home with a low drive to make it seven.


Sliema W.               0
Sta Lucia                 2

Sliema W.: E. Elezaj, K. Shaw, J. Mintoff (E. Agius 58), M. Scerri, DJ Carvajal, C. Zappa, J. Cisotti, JC Gill (JC Pereira 84), P. Xuereb (A. Satariano 67), G. Adamovic, JP Farrugia.

Sta Lucia: R. Caruana, G. Bohrer, A. Magri Overend (O. Elouni 61), D. Mendoza, D. Segura, K. Ante Rosero (N. Spiteri 90), F. Zuniga, J. Zerafa (J. Magri Overend 90), C. Escobar, L. Galea, R. Tachikawa.

Referee: P. Farrugia.

Asst refs: A. Camilleri, T. Debono.

4th official: D. Portelli.

Scorer: K. Ante Rosero 55,

Yellow cards: G. Adamovic 30, J. Mintoff 32, DJ Carvajal 55, J. Zerafa 59, R. Tachikawa 75, G. Bohrer 77, C. Zappa 80, D. Mendoza 83,

Red card: K. Shaw 88

Sliema Wanderers became the second major casualty in this year's competition as they surprisingly went down 2-0 to Sta Lucia.

The previous day it was Gzira who were eliminated by Senglea.

The Saints deserved their win proving themselves the better team throughout.

Sliema had their only chance in the 7th minute when Cisotti hit wide from a favourable position.

Sta Lucia missed a good chance on 25 minutes when Tachikawa headed wide from only three metres. Three minutes later, they had a Mendoza goal disallowed, probably for an infringement in the area, and in added time, Sliema goalie Elezaj saved a good effort by Kevin Ante Rosero.

Sta Lucia took the lead on 55 minutes when a Kevin Ante Rosero freekick was deviated into the net by a Sliema defender.

And they also went close to add a second goal, first through Segura and later through Tachikawa and Ante Rosero.

Late in the match, the poor Sliema side had Kurt Shaw dismissed and the Saints assured themselves of advancing to the next round with a second goal from a Mendoza freekick.


Żebbuġ R               3
Victoria H              5

Żebbuġ R: M. Grech, D. Fava, R. Vella, R. Zammit (S. Darmanin 46')(W. Borg 80'), S. Buhagiar, S. Nanapere, M. Fagbeja, C. Brincat (O. Busuttil 88'), N. Ojuola, J. Farrugia, G. Gesualdi..

Victoria H: A. Parnis, E. Sidqy, C. Mercieca (D. Bellotti 88'), J. Pace, A. Mizzi (L. Grima 60'), J. Bajada, S. Bajada, H. De Souza Maciel, E. Da Silva, E. Lattes, S. Biancardi.

Referee: Ezekiel Barbara

Scorers: E. Da Silva 5' pen, 40',  85' (V), S. Buhagiar 15' (Z), H. Da Souza Maciel 26' (V), S. Nanapere 54' (Z), N. Ojuola 89' (Z), E. Lattes 92' (V)

Victoria Hotspurs are through to the fourth round of the FA trophy after beating Zebbug Rangers 5-3 in a highly entertaing match, with Elton Da Silva stealing the show with a hat trick.

Victoria took the lead through Elton Da Silva who converted from the penalty spot. On 15 minutes Zebbug drew level when Samuel Buhagiar headed home an iunch perfect cross from Nanapere. The Gozitans regaind the lead on 26 minutes with a good move from Da Souza Maciel and five minutes from the break Victoria increased their lead with another strike from Da Silva.

Nine minutes into the second half and Zebbug were back in business when Nanapere first timed home a Randall Vella cross from the left. On 65 minutes Victoria were down to ten when Jason Pace was sent off.

However Victoria remained in control and Da Silva scored his third goal on 85 minutes with yet another good solo run. But Zebbug did not throw in the towel and Ojuola scored a good goal on 89 minutes.

With Zebbug in full forcing, Victoria sealed the issue in stoppage time with a deadly counter break and a clinical finish from Emiliano Lattes for a 5-3 final score.


Floriana             6
Melita                 1

Floriana: J. Spiteri, B. Muhamadou, E. Ruiz, D. Venancio (T. Vella 46), B. Paiber, J. Pisani, A. Caseres, E. Herrera, J. Busuttil, T. Fonseca (B. Sciberras 46).

Melita: L. Cauchi, M. Portelli, C. Bajada, M. Cachia, JP Attard, I. Zammit, A. Xuereb (L. Gatt 67), J. Abela, N. Omondi, DW Claridge, K. Mohnani.

Referee: M. Spiteri.

Asst refs: J. Spiteri, P. Apap.

4th official: M. Apap.

Scorers: E. Herrera 20, A. Caceres 34, T. Fonseca 39, D. Venancio 45 pen., JP Attard 46, B. Paiber 73, C. Borg 76,

Attendance: 425

A depleted Floriana side found no difficulty in beating second division side Melita by to nil.

The match had absolutely no story. It was dominated by the Greens from start to finish as Melita tried to close the gaps to limit the damage as much as possible.

The Premier League leaders led 4-0 at the interval with goals from Augusto Caceres 20th and 34th, and Fonseca in the 39th and a Diego Venancio penalty in the 45th.

The Amateurs managed to pull one back at the start of the second half through Jean Pierre Attard, but Floriana re-established their four-goal lead through a great shot from the distance by Brandon Paiber on 73 minutes.

Then they also added a sixth goal three minutes later through a Clyde Borg lob.

Kercem Ajax FC                    1
Sirens FC                               4

Kercem A: V. Dizdarevic, S. Martinez Villa, G. Muscat, J. Buttigieg (D. Cassar), A. Debrincat, T. Vella (D. Krstic), A. Oularbi, N. Mercieca, J.P. Mizzi (A. Zammit), B.Polo Longarela, M. Perisic.

Sirens FC: M. Montfort, R. Grech, W. De Oliveira, R. Dos Anjos (D. Sant), E. Okoye, A.M. Bustos, A. Borg, I. Abdullahi Adeshina, R. Pericles Romao, R.L.  Memezes (L. Friggieri), T. Espindola (R. Fenech).

Referee: Darryl Agius

Assts. Christopher Francalanza, James Muscat

4th Official: Andrea Sciriha

Sirens earned a place in the fourth round of The Malta FA Trophy with a 4-1 win over Kercem Ajax at the Gozo Stadium.  Sirens dominated over their opponents form the Gozitan championship throughout the encounter and the win could have easily been with a larger margin if it was not for a series of important interventions by Kercem's goalie Vladimir Dizdarevic.  Sirens, however, only managed to end the first half with a one-goal lead, but they made up for their erratic finishing by scoring on three other occasions during the second period.

Sirens took command of play from the early stages and created good scoring opportunities through Wellington De Oliveira, Emmanuel Okoye and Romario Lucas Memezes.  On 18 minutes a free kick by Romeu Romao the crossbar and ended high and other efforts by Raphael Dos Anjos and Emmanuel Okoye were neutralised by Kercem's keeper Vladimir Dizdarevic.  The visitors opened the score on 37 minutes when the referee allowed the advantage for an intervention by Kercem's keeper on Ige Adeshina and

Angel Manuel Bustos took the ball and placed in goal with a low shot.

On 53 minutes Sirens doubled the score through a fine lob by Angel Manuel Bustos after exchanging the ball with Ige Adeshina.  On 71 minutes Ige Adesina made it 3-0 with a low shot following a personal action.  Sirens scored their fourth goal on 76 minutes through Romario Memezes who entered the area and resisted to his direct opponent before placing the ball easily in goal.  Kercem scored their consolation goal on 80 minutes through a low shot by Darko Krstic who entered the field of play after the break as a substitute.


Xewkija Tigers FC                 5
Mgarr United FC                    2

Xewkija T: L. Camilleri, C. Uzeh Edafe, J. De Lima, C. Antunes Pavlidis, R. Buttigieg, J.C. Nogueira Junior, M. Hrubsa, J. Cefai Bonnici (M. Tabone), D. Mercieca, C.D. Frances (M. Camilleri), J. Camilleri (M. Stojanovic)

Mgarr U: T. Gauci, J.M. Davies, K. Aquilina, L. Micallef, M. Agius, C. Saliba (M. Abela), J.P. Grima, J. Vella (G. Saliba), A. Sammut, J.L. Micallef (L. Zammit)

Referee: Aleksandar Jovanovic

Assts. Robert Curtis, Patrick Falzon

Xewkija Tigers obtained a 5-2 win over Mgarr United in a well-contested encounter where the qualification was only determined with late goals.  Xewkija held territorial supremacy for most of the encounter but they failed to take a comfortable lead so that Mgarr remained in contention as they gained confidence and threatened Xewkija's rear guard particularly during the second period.  Xewkija's qualification, however, was deserved as their most experienced players ended up making the difference in crucial moments of the encounter.

Xewkija opened the score on 8 minutes through a first-timer from outside the area by Jose Carlos Nogueira Junior after taking the ball from a deflection by Mgarr's defence.  Mgarr produced a good reaction near the end of the first half and levelled the score on 42 minutes through a fine shot towards the far post by Kenneth Aquilina.

On 52 minutes Xewkija regained the lead with a close-range shot by Jackson De Lima who was released inside Mgarr's area by Claudio Antunes.  Mgarr tried to put pressure on Xewkija in an attempt to recover the deficit but on 78 minutes the hosts increased their lead through a low shot by substitute Milos Stojanovic following a prolonged action that involved Rodney Buttigieg, Claudio Antunes and Michael Camilleri.  Mgarr, however, re-opened the issue on 83 minutes through a strike by Lyden Micallef following a corner action but three minutes later Xewkija made it 4-2 with a tap-in by Claudio Antunes Pavlidis following a cross by Jose Carlos Nogueira Junior.  Xewkija sealed the win with another goal that arrived in the third minute of stoppage time through a first-timer by Milos Stojanovic following a short clearance by Mgarr's defence at the edge of the area.

  • don't miss