The Malta Independent 2 April 2020, Thursday

Sannat’s Antoine Camilleri gets three-year ban for assaulting assistant referee

MFA Communications Office Wednesday, 15 January 2020, 23:55 Last update: about 4 months ago

The Sannat Lions player Antoine Camilleri, involved in the violent attack on assistant referee Andrea Pavia over the weekend, received a three-year ban yesterday from the Disciplinary Council of the Malta Football Association.Camilleri's suspension will expire on 14 January 2023, and furthermore after that date he will have another seven-match ban.

Assistent referee Pavia was knocked down by Camilleri in a vicious attack, and Pavia was hospitalised.


The game was abandoned by the referee.In the Premier League Santa Lucia's Camilo Escobar received a two-match ban after he was sent off in the match against Valletta on Saturday. Escobar scored the second goal from the penalty spot in a surprising 2-2 draw.

Valletta and Malta defender Steve Borg who was also sent off, received a one-match suspension. Another seven players received a one-match ban yesterday.

These are Gzira's forward Amadou Samb, Hamrun's Mattia Cinquini, Mosta' Dexter Xuereb, Santa Lucia's Jackson mendoza, Sirens defender Adrian Borg, Sliema's Claudio Pani, and Tarxien's Marco Botta.Three Premier League officials were also suspended yesterday. Floriana coach Vincenzo Potenza was banned for two matches, together with Sean Cini of Birkirkara who also received a two-match ban.

Sliema official Mark Vella was suspended for one match.In the First Division League, Qrendi were the worst hit following their derby defeat against Mqabba over the weekend. Steven Schembri who was sent off, received a three-match suspension, and Giuseppe Muscat and Emerson Vella were suspended for one match.

Other players suspended for one match were Fgura's Philip Chircop, league top scorer Erjon Beu of Lija, Naxxar's Darren Falzon, Pieta's Ishaya Jalo, Qormi's Michael Borg, and Aaron Hili of St. George's.

Moreover Pieta's official Kurt Gatt received a six-match ban when he was sent off in the final seconds of the match against Pembroke. 

Pieta lost the match 2-0 with Pembroke's second goal on 90  minutes a very disputed one, and which led to heavy protests from the Pieta side.

  • don't miss