The Malta Independent 17 February 2020, Monday

BOV Div. I: Lights out on relegation clash; Precious win for Fgura

Chris Cassar Saturday, 18 January 2020, 18:20 Last update: about 29 days ago

Qormi-Vittoriosa S           0-0

(Match suspended on 48 minutes)

Qormi: J. Azzopardi, C. Farrugia, N. Borg, R. Santos Silva, A. Bustos, A. Abela, R. Mandic, L. Farrugia, A. Cassar, N. Ghio, G. Sammut.

Vittoriosa S: D. Bugeja, C. Spiteri, J. Briffa, D. Grima, G. Sultana, L. De Oliveira Barbosa, A. Galea (J. Pace 28'), S. Grech (O. Guerrero 46'), K. Vella, R. Sgaria Farias, N. Mclaren (D. Tabone 46').


Referee: Daniel Casha

A fault on part of the floodlighting system at the Victor Tedesco Stadium in Hamrun, led to the suspension of the Qormi-Vittoriosa clash, an important match between two struggling sides in the lower part of the table.

The first half had little or nothing to offer with the best chance coming Vittoriosa's way, with Dylan Grima blasting high from close range.

A couple of minutes from the start of the second half, part of the lighting system went in the dark, with the referee stopping the game until the fault could be restored. But it was not to be as attempts to repair proved futile, and referee Casha had no other option but to send everyone for an early shower.


Zebbug R-Fgura U            0-1

Żebbuġ R: M. Grech, A. Azzopardi, D. Fava, R. Vella, S. Buhagiar, S. Nanapere (M. Fagbeja 70'), C. Brincat, N. Ojuola, J. Farrugia (W. Borg 59'), G. Gesualdi (S. Darmanin 43'), L. Chiedozie.

Fgura U: B. Bartolo, J. Stenson, J. Barbara, G. Martin (S. Abela 67'), O. Mifsud, C. Gandini, J. Vella, G. Ferreira de Souza (D. Cartella 74'), S. Borg, A. Toncheff, G. Galea (T. Grech 82').

Referee: Ezekiel Barbara

Scorer: Gilbert Martin 40'

Fgura United defeated Zebbug Rangers thanks to a Gilbert Martin goal five minutes from the break to obtain their third victory of the season and move away from the bottom of the table.

Gilberta Martin's goal and the penalty saved by the Fgura custodian four minutes from time were the highlight of an otherwise low profile match. The first half had nothing or little to offer apart from Martin's goal scored a lethal fast break.

The second halkf was more intense with Zebbug Rangers pushing forward in search of the equaliser. In the final part of the game Zebbug were in full force in attack but the closest they could get was on 86 minutes when they won a penalty, but Randall Vella's shot was brilliantly saved by Bartolo.

  • don't miss