The Malta Independent 26 September 2020, Saturday

Watch: Central Link - I am not informed about archaeological discoveries - Ian Borg

Giulia Magri Friday, 24 January 2020, 13:41 Last update: about 9 months ago

Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Capital Projects Ian Borg said he is not well informed about the archaeological discoveries found on a part of the Central Link project. “I have not been informed regarding the archaeological findings; I am aware that there were some articles regarding this, but I do not know the necessary details to be able to answer you,” said Minister Borg.

Earlier this week, work on part of the Central Link project was stopped due to some form of archaeological remains uncovered. According to a member of Infrastructure Malta, the remains are probably vine trenches that had low historical value, and that the rock-cut trenches will be cleaned by hand and documented by archaeologists.

ADVERTISEMENT

When The Malta Independent asked Minister Borg regarding the archaeological findings, Borg said that he had no information on the discoveries or whether there would be any changes to the plans. “I am not informed that there will be any changes, but this does not mean that there will not be the necessary changes. I am convinced that Infrastructure Malta will take the necessary decisions, like it has in other projects, we make the necessary changes to continue on the projects which are happening and that we need.”

The €55 million road-widening project is intended to reduce travel time, improve air quality and create safer spaces for alternative modes of travel along the arterial road corridor between Mriehel and Ta Qali.

This is not the first time underground archaeological discoveries were found, a similar situation during works on the Santa Lucija tunnel project. An underground shaft and other underground rock-cut remains were found; whilst the project got the go ahead to continue, some minor changes were implemented in order to preserve the remains.

  • don't miss