The Malta Independent 25 February 2020, Tuesday

BOV Div. I: Zejtun keep marching on; Last gasp header saves Qormi

Chris Cassar Sunday, 9 February 2020, 18:23 Last update: about 16 days ago

Pieta H-Naxxar L    0-4

Pieta H.: M. Chetcuti, T. Bartolo, N. Pace Cocks, D. Vukovic, C. Gauci (J. Delmar, 54'), N. Pisani (J. Scicluna 54'), C. Sammut, J.L. Caetano, S. Mizzi, K. Amehi, J. Irimiya (J. Ghio 67').

Naxxar L: O. Borg, J. Sciberras, A. Azzopardi, M. Fenech, E. Farias Cerqueira (G. Grima 79'), D. Falzon, A. Azzopardi, J. Ellul (S.P. Ellul 82'), A. Bello-Osagie (G. Xuereb 70'), S. Meilak, G. Martins Leite.

Referee: Alex Johnson

Naxxar Lions are back in business after brushing aside Pieta's feeble resistance in a one way traffic affair yesterday. Naxxar immediately made their intentions clear building a three-goal lead by the halfway line.

The result lifts Naxxar to fourth place in the standings and within sight of the top places. Naxxar broke the deadlock on the half hour with an Aboubaker Bello-Osagie header, with the same player scoring the second goal with a precise grounder on 37 minutes.

Just before the break Naxxar put their minds at rest from an eventual Pieta comeback when Edson Faria Cerqueira headed home a Falzon freekick.

The second half had little to offer with Naxxar scoring a fourth goal ten minutes from time thanks to a Darren Falzon penalty.


Fgura U-Qormi       2-2

Fgura U: B. Bartolo, P. Chircop, J. Stenson, J. Barbara, S. Abela (T. Grech 81'), G. Martin (S. Hili 87'), J. Vella, G. Ferreira de Souza (D. Cartella 58'), S. Berthe, A. Toncheff, G. Galea.

Qormi: J. Azzopardi, N. Borg, F. Gnindokponou, M. Borg (Z. Gatt 70'), A. Bustos (F. Fladby 46'), A. Abela, R. Mandic, L. Farrugia, A. Cassar, N. Ghio, I. Zammit.

Referee: Emanuel Grech

A last gasp header scored by defender Ratko Mandic saved Qormi's blushes yesterday as bottom of the table side Fgura were heading for glory. Fgura built a two-goal cushion by the end of the first half and elected to defend in the second part.

Qormi left gaping holes at the back in search of goal, but Fgura failed to capitalise on some very clear chances of a third goal. Fgura were made to pay in the end as Qormi snatched a dramatic equaliser deep in stoppage time.

Alejandro Toncheff scored from the penalty spot on 29 minutes and just before the break Gustavo Ferreira de Souva headed home a Philip Chircop freekick. In the second half Gnindokponou pulled on back on 64 minutes and deep in stoppage time Ratko Mandic's header saved Qormi.


Zejtun C-St.Andrew’s    3-2

Żejtun C: C. Cassar, K. Farrugia, D. Agius, J. Ogunnupe (M. Jallow 84’), J. Suda, M. Pereira Muniz, B. Farrugia, C. Grech, D. Sowatey, N. Tabone, G. Azzopardi.

St. Andrew’s: N. Grima, I. Azzopardi, M. D’Alessandro, N. Bradshaw (M. Veselji 69’), K. Reid, J. Farrugia, M. Bartolo, A. Borg Olivier, C. Attah, L.A. Borg (J. Sixsmith 69’), K. Jackson.

Referee: Malcolm Spiteri

Zejtun kept marching on yesterday beating St.Andrew’s by the odd goal in five in a highly entertaining match. With this victory Zejtun are back on top of the standings with a three-point lead over second placed Lija.

Zejtun fully deserved their victory even though the Saints gave their opponents a very good run for their money. Zejtun had a good start but the Saints took the lead through Reid almost against the run of play.

On 32 minutes Zejtun levelled matters with a perfect Neil Tabone header off a Suda cross from the right and seven minutes later Zejtun forged ahead when Suda’s shot slammed against the corssbar and from the rebounf Ogunnupe headed home.

On 72 minutes Ogunnupe scored Zejtun’s third goal and three minutes later Mattia Veselji pulled one back for the Saints. In the remaining minutes the Saints’ forcing did not produce any results as Zejtun grabbed the precious points.

  • don't miss