The Malta Independent 30 May 2020, Saturday

Watch: Largest family park in the south of Malta to open in the coming weeks

Tuesday, 12 May 2020, 14:44 Last update: about 17 days ago

Tourism Minister Julia Farrugia Portelli said that the family park in Foss Ħaż-Żabbar will be opening for the public in the coming weeks as 70% of refurbishments have been completed.

Farrugia Portelli said that this park was previously left in a neglected state and used for illegal dumping of waste.

However, works are well underway and Parks Malta – the entity responsible for Malta’s parkas and valleys – has already planted 800 trees and plants. This number is expected to go up to 1,300 by the time the project is finished.

ADVERTISEMENT

Parks Malta Visual Director Ivan Farrugia explained that the trees being planted are indigenous so that they will not only provide a source of shade but also offer nourishment to bees.

Farrugia Portelli explained that this park is spread over 40 acres, making it one of the largest parks in the south of Malta. €600,000 are being invested in this project and the minister said that it is planned to open for the public in the coming weeks.

“Parks are part of the touristic product so we need to ensure that they are maintained well. This is the first project that we will be giving to the public post-Covid-19,” she said.

Upon opening, the park will have 18 picnic benches, a children’s playground, a cafeteria, a security post as well as an amphitheatre to be used by school children. Farrugia Portelli added that the department is also ensuring that the park is accessible for persons with disability, in fact, there will be a specialised swing for these individuals.

The General Director of Parks Malta Herman Galea said that the department is intervening in order to safeguard and enhance the already existing natural environment of the park.

Operations Director Francis Farrugia added that works are also underway at the centre of the park such as energy and water services, drinking water and underground CCTV cameras.

Ħaż-Żabbar mayor Jorge Grech, vice-mayor Bernice Farrugia and Permanent Secretary Ronald Mizzi were also present for the tour.

  • don't miss