The Malta Independent 9 August 2020, Sunday

Portelli again served with enforcement notice over unauthorised San Blas development

Wednesday, 15 July 2020, 16:34 Last update: about 25 days ago

Gozitan property magnate Joe Portelli has once again been served with an enforcement notice related to illegalities in fields overlooking San Blas Bay.

Times of Malta said the notice identifies Portello as the contravenor. He was accused of unauthorised development which includes a change of use from a field to a recreation area, which includes tents, beach furniture and artificial turf.

The area in question in scheduled as a Level 1 area of ecological importance and a Level 1 site of scientific importance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent photos show that the recent development is very much similar to that carried out in 2014, when The Malta Independent had revealed the existence of illegal structures. Back then, the Planning Authority had also served Portelli with an enforcement notice.

Initially, a metal gate had been erected, rubble walls were torn down and a canopy structure was constructed. A few months later this newsroom had reported that a campsite, complete with tents and artificial turf had appeared.

Times of Malta said it had reported the recent development to the PA but the structures only increased. The PA told the newspaper that daily fines are being imposed until the site is cleared of all illegalities.

The authority has alsio issued a separate enforcement order against the owner of a nearby kiosk who failed to seek a permit to change the use of the land from a field to an area of commercial activity. The development includes the laying of struxtires, cooking equipment, beach furniture, umbrellas and chairs.

The contravener, in this case, is Stephen Bigeni.


  • don't miss