The Malta Independent 4 December 2020, Friday

Premier League: Hibernians survive disastrous start to stay on top with Gzira

Chris Cassar Sunday, 22 November 2020, 06:43 Last update: about 12 days ago

Hibernians remained on top of the standings together with Gzira, who earlier had defeated Sliema by the odd goal in five, after coming back from a twogoal deficit against Hamrun Spartans.

Hibernians survived a disatrous start in wich they suffered two goals in the opening 22 minutes of the game. However Hibernians’ comeback started just before the half an hour when Wilkinson scored a great goal from a freekick.


This was the much need boost for Hibernians who should have equalised by the end of the first half, but Kristensen was unlucky when he hit the crossbar. In the second half the match well balanced with Hibernians snatching an important point with a late Jake Grech penalty.

Hamrun started the match like a house on fire pushing Hibernians in their own area.

A Matthew Guillaumier freekick was well saved by Calleja Cremona and ex-player Joseph Mbong had a grounder just missing the base of the upright.

Hamrun continued to dictate as Hibernians could not put a foot right, and it was no surprise that the Spartans took a deserved lead on 20 minutes. Soares’ long ball beat the Hibernians rearguard and Sasere nipped in to score anticipating Calleja Cremona’s sortie.

Two minutes later Hamrun were on velvet when Soares scored a beauty with a drive from well outside the area with the ball finishing in the top corner of the net.

Hamrun eased their hold on the match and were made to pay as seven minutes later Hibernians were back in business.

Wilkinson Teixeira scored a gem of a goal direct from a freekick. It was a completely different game now with Hibernians taking the upper hand and with Jake Grech testing Bartolo who saved well.

Just before the break Hibernians were also unlucky when Bjorn Kristensen’s scorcher slammed against the crossbar and from the rebound Bartolo was on the alert to block Jake Grech’s header.

The second half was less intense and mor balanced.

Obviously Hibernians pushed forward in search of the equaliser but Hamrun were sometimes very menacing in their breaks.

The match dragged on with the Spartans holding on to their precious lead, but eleven minutes from time Joseph Mbong pushed Andrei Agius inside the box with the referee pointing to the penalty spot.

Jake Grech made no mistake sending Bartolo the wrong way. In the dying stages Bjorn Kristensen received a second booking following a nasty tackle and was sent off and Hamrun almost snatched a last gasp winner but Barbosa missed an easy header in front of goal.

Photo: Domenic Aquilina


  • don't miss