The Malta Independent 15 June 2021, Tuesday

Use of face-masks on the beach will no longer be enforced from 1 June

Thursday, 6 May 2021, 11:56 Last update: about 2 months ago

The use of face-masks on the beach will no longer be enforced by authorities, Deputy Prime Minister Chris Fearne said on Thursday – warning however that this will be the “only exception.”

The wearing of face-masks outdoors at all times is a mandatory requirement, but there has been much criticism over the lack of clarity and the perceived lack of realism with having to wear a mask on the beach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Authorities were, amidst many questions from the public after fines were meted out at the beach, previously saying that face-masks had to be worn right up until one enters the water – to the point that a person could not even stand in the water without wearing a mask.

Fearne said that after many discussions on regulations pertaining to masks and the beach, an exception will be made when it comes to enforcement on the beach.

“This will be the only exception”, Fearne warned.

The measure will come into place on 1 June.

He noted that wet masks do not work, so while the recommendation to wear the mask on a beach remains in place, it will not be enforceable by law.

Elsewhere, however, the measure will remain enforceable.

Fearne was speaking at a press conference where the government mapped out its plan for reopening until 7 June.

  • don't miss