The Malta Independent 30 September 2022, Friday
View E-Paper

Restoration works underway on Senglea bastion

Wednesday, 17 August 2022, 14:15 Last update: about 2 months ago

The Restoration Directorate within the Ministry for the National Heritage, the Arts and Local Government acted upon a request of the Senglea local council to undertake restoration works on the bastion wall leading down to Boiler Wharf from Triq is-Sur, in order to remove immediate danger and safeguard tangible heritage, a government statement read.

During a press conference addressed by Minister for National Heritage, the Arts and Local Government Owen Bonnici and Parliamentary Secretary for Local Government Alison Zerafa Civelli, it was explained that the restoration works which are being carried out through an investment of €140,000 started in May 2022, and are expected to be completed within four months. These works form part of the projects being carried out by the Restoration Directorate and the Cottonera Foundation.

Minister Owen Bonnici said: “It is thanks to such initiatives that we have the opportunity to continue taking care of our national heritage, a heritage that shapes our identity as a nation.

Parliamentary Secretary Alison Zerafa Civelli commended the Senglea local council for taking the necessary action to restore Senglea’s Bastion wall. Whilst thanking the Restoration Directorate for its work, she explained that restoration works on Maltese patrimony are crucial to preserve our national heritage for generations to come.  

The Parliamentary Secretary also thanked the Cottonera Foundation for its continuous efforts towards the localities of Cottonera and its residents and for its support towards this restoration project.

From his end, Cottonera Foundation Chairman Glenn Bedingfield said that “various restoration works and other projects are currently underway around Cottonera, with an investment of around €20 million. The government remains committed to implementing the strategy which is designed for Cottonera and continues to invest in raising the standards of these localities and its residents.”

The architect responsible for the restoration works, Amanda Degiovanni, explained in detail the process being undertaken. “The fortification wall was is in a terrible condition with excessively deteriorated stonework and areas risking collapse. Works included the erection of scaffolding, replacing the large areas of weathered backstone, and replacement with new stonework. The three existing arches which were previously blocked have now been reopened. Works also included removing black crust from underneath the arches.”

Also present for this press conference was the Mayor of Senglea Clive Pulis and Local Councillor Corinne Buhagiar.

  • don't miss