The Malta Independent 3 March 2024, Sunday
View E-Paper

Drop in number of unemployed people – NSO

Friday, 27 January 2023, 12:17 Last update: about 2 years ago

In December 2022, the number of persons registering for work stood at 1,046, decreasing by 121 when compared to the corresponding month in 2021, the NSO said Friday.

Registered Unemployment: November-December 2022

Data provided by Jobsplus for December 2022 indicate a year-on-year decrease of 98 persons registering under Part I, and an additional drop of 23 persons registering under Part II of the unemployment register.

Registered unemployment levels decreased across all age groups; with the exception of the 25 to 29 years age bracket. Males accounted for 68.5 per cent of total registrants while females accounted for the remaining 31.5 per cent.

Persons who had been registering for work for less than 21 weeks and those who had been registering for more than one year decreased when compared to the same month in 2021. On the other hand, persons who have been registering for work between 21 and 52 weeks increased when compared with the same month of the previous year.

In December 2022, the number of persons with a disability who were registering for work decreased by 27 when compared to the previous year, reaching 228 persons. Males accounted for 76.8 per cent of total registrants with a disability. The largest share of males and females on the unemployment register sought occupations as Clerical support workers, with 22.1 per cent and 42.7 per cent respectively.

  • don't miss