The Malta Independent 29 February 2024, Thursday
View E-Paper

Energy Minister denies reports Enemalta CEO was dismissed

Sabrina Zammit Wednesday, 30 August 2023, 11:36 Last update: about 7 months ago

Energy Minister Miriam Dalli has denied reports that Jonathan Cardona was dismissed as CEO of Enemalta.

The minister was asked to react to PN claims and media reports that the CEO, placed on annual salary of €160,000, has been sacked.

“This is not the first time that the PN, instead of confirming and checking stuff, (has) just relied on what it heard,” she said.

"Jonathan Cardona is reporting for work at Enemalta every day," she said, adding that he has not been removed as CEO of Enemalta, and that he holds that role.

Dalli also said that Cardona is "part of our current focus to ensure we strengthen the investment in the country's energy system, particularly in the distribution system."

Cardona’s alleged sacking was first reported last week by The Shift news. The site reported that he was removed from the post on the direct order of Prime Minister Robert Abela in the wake of last month's nationwide blackout debacle.

The Opposition stated that the Government has the duty to be transparent about the management of Enemalta since it holds a majority share in the company. The party continued that the government has the responsibility to clarify this situation and that they should confirm this news.

Dalli was also questioned about the many complaints’ residents such as Sliema, St Julians and Paceville are making as with regarding the rubbish collection, or rather the lack of.

People flocked to a protest on the worsening state of Sliema on Tuesday evening. The event was organised by the Sliema Residents Association and supported by the eNGO Flimkien għal Ambjent Aħjar (FAA). 

Dalli said that currently her ministry is meeting with authorities, concerned ministries and other involved entities to address several issues, such as the problem surrounding short lets (as cleaners have been reported to throw everything in black bags, whilst preparing for the next stay), and the need for more enforcement.

In an interview on Tuesday, Wasteserv CEO Richard Bilocca suggested that organic waste should be frozen in between organic waste collection days, in order to prevent bad smells.

Asked for a reaction, Dalli avoided commenting directly on Bilocca’s suggestion however said that unlike in the past, organic waste collection days were increased from twice a week to three times a week. 

She said that since January, from when the organic waste collection has been reinforced by law, there has been a reported 10 per cent decrease in waste collected in black bags (general waste).

Dalli urged the public to continue to separate waste and maintain the schedule as this means that “our landfills will not take up more space”.

  • don't miss