The Malta Independent 26 May 2024, Sunday
View E-Paper

Updated: PN calls for action over Social Policy Ministry's possible corruption

Thursday, 18 April 2024, 15:58 Last update: about 2 months ago

The Nationalist Party on Thursday called for action to be taken after revelations in court related to the case against former PL MP Silvio Grixti and four other individuals.

On Wednesday, Director General of the Social Services Department, Grazio Barbara testified that illegal 'reconsiderations' of applications previously refused by the medical board had been made, and that it was Marc Calleja, a close associate of Minister Michael Falzon, who would order them.

ADVERTISEMENT

In a statement on Wednesday, the PN said that the testimony is worrying and raises the spectre of possible corruption within the Ministry for Social Policy given the fact that these cases are not subject to appeal.

"This conflict of interest suggests that the abuse was encouraged and possibly orchestrated from the highest levels within the Ministry," the PN stated.

The Opposition called for absolute transparency and for the government to take immediate action so that the system behind the severe disability benefits regains integrity.

"The Maltese and Gozitans deserve a just administration that works with integrity and is free from all corruption," the PN concluded.

In reaction later on Thursday, the Social Policy ministry denied the PN’s allegations saying that it was the ministry itself which, upon the report being sent by the Office of the Prime Minister to the Police, cooperated with investigators on all cases.

The ministry said that it always fully cooperated with investigators and is committed to keep working in favour of the administration of justice.  It continued that it was the ministry itself which commissioned the Mizzi Report and tied itself to implementing its recommendations.

 

  • don't miss