The Malta Independent 24 August 2026, Monday
View E-Paper

PL says Alex Borg against 260 families benefiting from affordable housing project; PN replies

Monday, 30 March 2026, 11:22 Last update: about 6 months ago

The statements made by the Leader of the Opposition, Alex Borg, against the concept of Affordable Housing are shocking, the Labour Party said Monday.

In a statement, the Labour Party said it noted this position taken by the Nationalist Party against a project that the Government is implementing in collaboration with the Church. This aims to enable first-time buyers and young people who qualify under certain criteria to become homeowners by purchasing property at 30% below market price.

"We now all know that while the Nationalist Party speaks about this issue, when it comes to tangible measures that support young people, Alex Borg has chosen another path and turned his back on these first-time buyers," the PL said.

He has opposed 260 families who will begin to benefit from the Affordable Housing project in four localities, led by the Foundation for Affordable Accommodation. This project is distinct from social housing, with 260 homes being built on public land (previously owned by the Church), which the Government allocated for this purpose.

Developers who participated in a call for expressions of interest are now offering high-standard housing solutions.

The Opposition has also come out against a number of measures for first-time buyers, including: · the €10,000 grant; stamp duty exemptions; the Equity Sharing scheme; the New Hope initiative; · and various other fiscal incentives, the PL said.

In repy, the Natiomalist Party said the Labour Party must be honest with the Maltese and Gozitan people. The PN said it is in favour of affordable accommodation and has long been urging the Government to take action on this matter. The PN reiterated that the government must ensure a level playing field within the industry and not choose to work with just a few. 


  • don't miss