The controversial Planning Bills 143 and 144, alongside a package of long-delayed media reform laws - Bills 17, 18 and 19 - have lapsed following the dissolution of Parliament triggered by Prime Minister Robert Abela's call for a snap general election on 30 May.
Among the most contentious pieces of legislation to fall were Bills 143 and 144, which proposed sweeping changes to Malta's planning framework and had drawn strong criticism from civil society groups and the public at large.
Moviment Graffitti had warned that the bills would weaken public participation and tilt the balance further in favour of developers, intensifying concerns about overdevelopment and environmental degradation.
In a statement Tuesday, Moviment Graffitti said that the Ġustizzja għal Artna campaign said that the intense resistance to what it described as the "developers' wishlist," had resulted in Bills 143 and 144 lapsing with the dissolution of Parliament.
The campaign acknowledged the efforts of all those who contributed to what it called an unprecedented outcome, with a "major, destructive overhaul" of the planning system being stopped in its tracks.
It said that, besides the organisations which launched the campaign and others which later joined it, the reform had been opposed by social partners, residents' groups, opposition political parties, and even high-ranking officials and activists within the Labour Party.
Grafitti also referred to the thousands of people who took part in protests in what it described as an unprecedented show of force in favour of Malta and Gozo's urban and natural environment.
With the election now set for 30 May, the campaign called on all political parties to commit to planning reform that prioritises residents and environmental protection, and to be clear and transparent in their electoral programmes about the changes they intend to introduce.
The organisation said such reform should be based on proper studies and actively involve environmental stakeholders, while also putting an end to what it described as constant illegality and the undermining of planning regulations, which would allow voters to better understand where parties stand on a critical issue affecting the future of Malta and Gozo's environment.
The campaign said that it has recently launched four proposals for what it described as real planning reform and is awaiting feedback from political parties on these measures, which it said should form the basis of any meaningful changes.
At the same time, it warned that it is not under any illusion that the forces behind the proposed reform could attempt to reintroduce it in a superficially altered form after the election, once voters have been deprived of their strongest leverage.
It cautioned that, should such an attempt be made, the campaign is prepared to mount an even stronger and more sustained resistance against what it described as the destruction of what remains of the planning system.
Also falling by the wayside are three key bills related to media reform, an area that has remained under scrutiny both locally and internationally.
Bill 17, which sought to establish a committee to recommend measures for the protection of journalists, other media actors and persons in public life, did not progress beyond its early stages.
Likewise, Bill 18, which proposed constitutional amendments aimed at strengthening protections for freedom of expression, privacy and media freedom, has also lapsed.
Bill 19, which aimed to amend various laws to enhance protections for journalists and media organisations, including provisions addressing strategic lawsuits against public participation (SLAPP), will also not proceed.
The dissolution of Parliament means that these bills, which have not yet completed the legislative process, have now lapsed and will need to be reintroduced from scratch by the next legislature if the government wishes to pursue them.
The failure of these media-related bills to pass comes after years of criticism surrounding the government's approach to reform.
The proposals had originally been put forward in 2022, but progress remained slow, with stakeholders repeatedly raising concerns about the process and substance of the legislation.
Journalists, legal experts and organisations such as the Daphne Caruana Galizia Foundation have argued that the reforms did not go far enough to address systemic issues affecting press freedom in Malta.
Concerns were raised over the effectiveness of measures intended to shield journalists from abusive lawsuits, particularly in cross-border cases, as well as lingering risks for publishers in defamation proceedings.
There was also unease about how the reform process itself was handled, with critics arguing that consultation lacked transparency and that experts were brought in too late to meaningfully influence the drafting of the laws.
The collapse of these bills leaves Malta once again without updated legal frameworks in both planning and media sectors, two areas that have been the subject of sustained public debate and calls for reform.
With the general election now set for 30 May, the fate of these proposals will ultimately depend on the priorities of the next government, and whether they are reintroduced in revised form or abandoned altogether.