The Malta Independent 18 August 2026, Tuesday
View E-Paper

€27 million in social benefits to reach 62,400 Maltese families this weekend

Thursday, 11 June 2026, 11:45 Last update: about 3 months ago

Around 62,400 families across Malta will receive social benefit payments totalling nearly €27 million this weekend, covering the third quarter of the year, the Ministry for Social Policy and the Family said in a statement. 

The payments form part of a broader government investment in family support measures, with beneficiaries having already received more than €53 million during the first two quarters of 2026. Total payments for the year are expected to approach €110 million.

The largest share of the latest package, amounting to almost €20 million, will be distributed through the Children's Allowance and an additional supplement. The payments will benefit approximately 42,400 families raising nearly 63,000 children.

The third-quarter payment is the third to be issued under revised eligibility parameters introduced in the previous Budget. The changes were designed to increase support for families on low and middle incomes.

Under the revised scheme, the maximum annual Children's Allowance payment per child under the age of 16 has increased by €417 to €2,330. As a result, a family with two children qualifying for the highest rate will receive a total of €4,660 this year. Payment rates vary according to household income, with the minimum annual payment standing at almost €1,100 per child.

In addition, more than 2,100 families caring for around 2,700 children with physical or intellectual disabilities will receive third-quarter payments through the Disability Children's Allowance scheme. These payments amount to €1.3 million.

Families fostering children and young people up to the age of 21 will also receive support. Foster carers are receiving €6,760 annually per child this year, an increase of €520 compared to last year. This week's payment covers a three-month period and amounts to €1,690 per child.

Meanwhile, nearly 20,000 families, couples and single individuals will share €5.4 million through enhanced Supplementary Allowance payments aimed at helping households cope with the cost of living. Around 70% of beneficiaries are single individuals, widows, separated persons or divorcees on low incomes.

The maximum weekly Supplementary Allowance has increased to €27.30 for couples and €14.40 for single persons, with actual rates depending on income levels.

The ministry noted that the number of beneficiaries has risen by almost 1,000 since December following an expansion of income eligibility thresholds. The net income ceiling for couples was increased by €2,000 to €20,000, while the threshold for single persons rose by €1,500 to €14,000.

Additional measures have also been introduced for beneficiaries aged 65 and over. An annual grant paid alongside the Supplementary Allowance has been increased by €100 to €250 and is now granted to both spouses rather than only one member of the household.

Furthermore, since the beginning of the year, Supplementary Allowance beneficiaries aged 65 and over have automatically qualified for free medicines without having to undergo a means test.

Commenting on the payments, Social Policy Minister Michael Falzon said the government remains committed to providing stability and peace of mind to Maltese families amid ongoing global uncertainty.

He said that while many families across Europe and beyond are facing the consequences of international geopolitical challenges, households in Malta continue to benefit from strong direct and indirect government support.

Falzon added that the measures reflect the government's continued commitment to social welfare and its pledge to place the interests of Malta and its people at the forefront of policymaking.


 

  • don't miss