Roderick Azzopardi, 42, on Monday pleaded not guilty to charges over the killing of Charlotte Zammit after police told the court how they discovered her body inside a Żabbar residence.
"She came in front of me and made me lose my mind," Roderick Azzopardi told police moments before officers discover the body of Charlotte Zammit inside a bedroom at a Żabbar residence, the court heard.
Police explained in court that their involvement began on 15 August, when Żabbar police station received a telephone call from an anonymous person.
Officers subsequently went to the residence and knocked on the door. Azzopardi answered and was found in a highly agitated state.
Police explained to him they were there to check on his wellbeing, but Azzopardi repeatedly asked who contacted them.
When officers suggested the call may have been made by his former partner, Azzopardi replied: "That can't be."
He then told them: "She came in front of me and made me lose my mind," before indicating that there was a body inside the residence.
Officers immediately entered the bedroom to check and found the body of a woman, who was subsequently identified as 44-year-old Charlotte Zammit.
Police then informed Azzopardi that he was under arrest at around 3:34pm.
When asked whether he is pleading guilty or not guilty, the accused replied: "Not guilty for today."
No request for bail was made on Azzopardi's behalf, meaning he remains in custody as criminal proceedings against him continue.
A police spokesperson on Monday confirmed Zammit had filed two reports against the accused around a decade ago. One, lodged in 2016, led to domestic violence proceedings against him.
Azzopardi pleaded guilty the following year to injuring Zammit, holding her against her will and threatening to kill her, and was sentenced to one year in prison.
A separate report filed in 2017 concerned allegations that he had insulted Zammit. He was later acquitted in that case.

10:55 No request for bail is made on Azzopardi's behalf, meaning he remains in custody as proceedings against him continue.
With no further submissions from either side, the court brings the short proceedings to a close.
10:54 Azzopardi is asked to confirm his personal details before the court.
He identifies himself as Roderick Azzopardi, 42, from Żabbar.
When asked whether he is pleading guilty or not guilty, Azzopardi replies: "Not guilty for today".
10:51 The police inspector explains police went to the residence and knocked on the door, which was opened by Roderick Azzopardi. They found him in a highly agitated state and explained that they were there to check on his wellbeing.
Azzopardi repeatedly asked who called the police. When officers suggest it may have been his former partner, he replies: "That can't be."
He then tells officers: "She was in front of me and made me lose my mind." [Ġiet quddiemi u fixklitni] before adding that there was a body inside.
Police immediately checked the bedroom, where they found the body of a woman later identified as Charlotte Zammit.
Officers then informed Azzopardi he is under arrest.
The arrest took place at around 3:34pm.
10:47 A police inspector takes the witness stand and starts to explain the circumstances leading to Azzopardi's arrest.
He says on 15 August, the Żabbar police station received a phone call from an anonymous person who reported Roderick Azzopardi had been sending messages indicating he might harm himself.
10:43 Good morning and welcome to the liveblog.
Proceedings against Roderick Azzopardi to start.
He will be charged with the murder of Charlotte Zammit, who on Saturday was found dead at a Żabbar residence.