The Malta Independent 13 December 2018, Thursday

Homeless man denies stealing mobile phone at MIA

Thursday, 6 December 2018, 11:37 Last update: about 7 days ago

A homeless man has denied stealing a mobile phone and related items from the Malta International Airport.

48 year-old Bogdan Bogdanov from Bulgaria was accused of the theft, aggravated by value, of a mobile phone, shortly before midnight on December 4. He was also charged with the theft of a number of mobile telephony-related accessories between November 1 and 21.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bogdanov was also charged with living an idle and vagrant life.

Magistrate Josette Sultana told the man that the charges were serious in nature and could result in imprisonment. She explained that he had the right to remain silent.

Asked his address, he said that “at the moment I don’t live anywhere.” He said he worked “with the power station” and as an electrician.

The man had been arrested at the airport after he was observed taking the mobile phone from the food court while its owner was in the bathroom. Inspector Silvio Magro exhibited CCTV footage of the crime, explaining that the charges relating to the accessories were pressed after the stolen items were found in his possession.

Lawyer Leontine Calleja, appointed legal aid to the man, entered a plea of not guilty. In view of his lack of a fixed address, the defence did not request bail.

 

  • don't miss