The Malta Independent 23 August 2026, Sunday
View E-Paper

Maghtab Residents up in arms over supposed closure of landfill

Malta Independent Sunday, 23 May 2004, 00:00 Last update: about 13 years ago

“Basically, the situation is now out of control,” says one angry resident. “This is what’s going on: they are excavating a huge hole in which to store waste temporarily that is much closer to the residential area than the original dumping ground.”

The “huge hole” in question is in fact the first phase of the temporary storage facility at Taz-Zwejra, which is planned to last for six months, taking in waste from all over the Maltese Islands including Gozo. When this is exhausted, a second facility will take over for the next six months... after which, waste will be dumped in a new landfill at nearby Ghallis. However, residents feel that this is not consistent with what had been promised earlier by ministers and other officials:that is, that the Maghtab landfill would be closed as from 1 May.

“We have been to various meetings with ministers, all of whom promised us faithfully that the dump would close down on 1 May,” says one resident. However, this is clearly not the case, as can be seen in the photograph where animal remains and other garbage are strewn on the ground just inside the landfill’s perimeter. “We will not be treated like fools (boloh),” insists one angry woman, who clearly would not be placated on this issue.

“That was what all the gurus and planners at the government have told us, proudly trumpeting the closure of the Maghtab dump,” adds another resident. “They think we are a bunch of idiots who can be taken for a ride.”

Maghtab residents have been complaining for years about the landfill, but now their patience is at an end. Not just about the rubbish dump, but also what they describe as “incompetence” and the general laissez-faire attitude of the Naxxar local council. “They don’t even clean the streets around here, we have been told that the local council doe snot send cleaners to do the job,” another man adds, shortly before inviting me into the beautiful garden of a villa so that I could see for myself the excavations being carried out barely 300 metres away from the perimeter wall of the residence.

“Add to that the material they are excavating that has been in the dump for 27 years, with all the toxins and God knows what being taken to the top of the landfill to burn.”

Another resident nods in agreement: “The smell is so foul it is unbearable and we cannot take it anymore.”

Further investigations by The Malta Independent on Sunday confirm that the rubbish dumped at the Taz-Zwejra facility is in fact being left uncovered, with the result that garbage has been left to rot, creating a stench and health hazard that is preoccupying the residents. One long-term resident also insists that, contrary to what has been claimed by Wasteserv, the rubbish is not being sorted, but dumped haphazardly without any proper separation.

“Rotting animal carcasses from the abattoir and other similar toxic waste are being left in the open and this is surely hazardous to our health,” says another man. “Besides, trucks pass through here day in, day out. Can you imagine what it smells like – the toxic fumes of those trucks added to the large amount of rubbish that spills onto the roads?” asks another angry woman.

I also got to speak to other residents who have lived in the area for decades. “The first facility was bad enough, but the second is going to bring waste even closer our homes,” one of them says. I went out to take a quick look, and when shown the area, it is obvious that the second temporary dump will be closer to private residences when it opens in six months’ time.

Meanwhile the residents of Maghtab tell me that they feel “abandoned by everyone.” Now they are not only indignant, they are also very angry, claiming that the government has “taken them for a ride.”

“We will be organising ourselves and are ready to block the road to the landfill with our bodies... and even with our children if necessary!” says one determined man who didn’t look like he was bluffing.

“The effect on the whole area, including Naxxar, Qawra, Bugibba and St Paul’s Bay, is immense, so we will be collecting signatures for a petition to Parliament,” another man chimes in.

As I left the place it was all quiet and peaceful, a typical beautiful Maltese evening. Looking back for one more look, I could see trucks driving in towards the dump, as well as the bulldozers currently excavating the “huge hole” that is the Taz-Zwejra temporary storage facility. There appears to be no end in sight.

  • don't miss