The Malta Independent 23 August 2026, Sunday
View E-Paper

Labour Blames decrease in consumption on lack of disposable cash

Malta Independent Tuesday, 25 May 2004, 00:00 Last update: about 14 years ago

Dr Sant was speaking to journalists following a walkabout in Hamrun, where he met and spoke to several entrepreneurs who complained about the lack of disposable cash and the general feeling of complacency among consumers.

The entrepreneurs told Dr Sant their concerns about their business.

They mentioned, among other things, the increase of Value Added Tax from 15 per cent to 18 per cent.

One businessman said people do not have any more money to spend due to this increase.

One other woman said that in the 44 years her business has been in operation, she could not remember a time when business had been any worse. She said many people go into her shop without the enthusiasm to buy anything.

A carpenter said the furniture being imported into Malta has suffocated the furniture manufactured locally.

He said he had not yet folded his business because he was his own boss and had no employees. Others, who employ people, cannot even pay their rent, he told Dr Sant.

Dr Sant told journalists that the MEPs elected on behalf of the Malta Labour Party will ensure that Malta has a sound economic performance which would be reflected in the performance of the small- and medium-sized enterprises.

Accompanying Dr Sant on the walkabout in Hamrun were MLP deputy leader Michael Falzon, secretary general Jason Micallef, Labour EP candidates and Labour local council election candidates for Hamrun.

  • don't miss