The Malta Independent 23 August 2026, Sunday
View E-Paper

Man Acquitted of rape – doctors found alleged victim was still a virgin

Malta Independent Tuesday, 25 May 2004, 00:00 Last update: about 13 years ago

31-year-old Renald Cutajar had been charged with raping a 14-year-old girl in July 2001, holding her against her will, corrupting her and relapsing in view of previous convictions.

The girl claimed that after she had gone into Cutajar’s car to smoke a cigarette, he drove off to a more secluded place and raped her. She said he then took her back to the swings she had been at earlier. The girl said that before this happened, another man had spoken to Cutajar.

Cutajar confirmed the girl got into his car to smoke a cigarette but he said she left before he drove off. His version of events was corroborated by Carmel Spiteri’s testimony. Mr Spiteri was the man the girl said had spoken to Cutajar when she was in his car. Mr Spiteri said the girl did get out of the car before Cutajar drove off. The court took note of the conflicting versions of the incident but rested its judgement on a doctor’s examination of the girl. Gynaecologist Yves Muscat Baron confirmed the girl’s hymen was intact and had not been broken. Presiding magistrate Antonio Mizzi found Cutajar not guilty and cleared him of all charges pressed against him.

Inspector Sharon Tanti prosecuted while Dr Joseph Giglio appeared for defence.

  • don't miss