The Malta Independent 18 August 2026, Tuesday
View E-Paper

Parliament: Charter Traffic expected to decrease by 7% this year

Malta Independent Tuesday, 27 March 2007, 00:00 Last update: about 20 years ago

Charter traffic is expected to decrease by a further seven per cent this year, Tourism Minister Francis Zammit Dimech told Labour MP Leo Brincat.

Last year charter traffic decreased by 13 per cent and this, the minister said, was in line with international trends.

He also claimed that tour operators are taking more allocations on scheduled flights and tourists themselves are increasingly using low cost airlines as they can make direct bookings.

In a reply to another question by Mr Brincat, the minister said that the 2008-2010 MTA marketing plan is expected to be ready by August.

Hospitals’ electricity consumption

St Vincent de Paule used up more electricity last year than St Luke’s Hospital, according to information given by Health Minister Louis Deguara to Labour MP Noel Farrugia. St Vincent de Paule consumed Lm644,000’s worth and St Luke’s Lm629,000. Mount Carmel Hospital used up Lm213,000 and Sir Paul Boffa Hospital Lm35,000. The least consumption of electricity was at Zammit Clapp Hospital which consumed Lm27,000.

Appointment of chief security

officer at Enemalta

The qualifications being asked of applicants for the post of Chief Security Officer at Enemalta demand experience in management or a course in management but none of those who have applied have this.

In a question she submitted to Investments Minister Austin Gatt, Labour MP Marie Louise Coleiro Preca said the people who applied may not have a management experience but they have a long experience in security. She asked the minister if he considers that the way the call for applications has been made will be creating a clear case of discrimination.

The minister said a reply will be forthcoming in a future parliamentary sitting.

  • don't miss