The Malta Independent 18 August 2026, Tuesday
View E-Paper

Worker's Day: Number of unemployed in March the least ever in 20 years – government

Thursday, 30 April 2015, 18:46 Last update: about 12 years ago
Picture by Martin Attard (DOI)
Picture by Martin Attard (DOI)

The Ministry for Social Dialogue, Consumer Affairs and Civil Liberties said that the number of persons who registered for work during the month of March was the least ever in the last 20 years.

In March this year, the ministry said, 1,750 fewer persons registered for work when compared to the same period last year.

In a statement for Worker's Day, the ministry said “Ever since the beginning of our legislature, the government started to combat precarious employment. While a number of measures were taken during the first two years in office to curb on precarious working conditions, there are still sectors which are engaging in such abuse.

“The government is duty-bound to continuing its fight against such abusive conditions and to safeguard the rights of workers who are exposed to them.

“As the ministry responsible for work conditions, it was of great satisfaction to note that a decision was taken to blacklist companies which were promoting these conditions when it comes to the granting of public tenders,” the statement read.

The ministry also went on to say that during the last budget, the government embarked on a plan to ensure more persons with a disability are employed. As a result of this initiative, the rate of unemployment of persons with a disability has decreased by 21%, the ministry said, adding that 117 persons with a disability have entered the workforce.

The ministry also referred to the free childcare service, where a number of parents are benefitting from this measure.

  • don't miss