The Malta Independent 21 September 2019, Saturday

‘Alan Kurdi’ migrants to disembark in Malta, to be relocated to two EU states

Tuesday, 10 September 2019, 15:30 Last update: about 11 days ago

Two EU member states will be taking the migrants on board the vessel Alan Kurdi following discussions with the European Commission, the government said today.

Malta agreed to be part of a European solution to solve the impasse by offering disembarkation after NGO Sea-Eye, which operates the same vessel, dropped the judicial protest filed against Malta.

All 5 migrants will be relocated immediately to other member states, the government said.

While all other persons disembarked from previous European-managed operations continue to be transferred to other EU member states in fulfilment of their pledges, Malta remains committed to take pragmatic decisions for European solutions which ensure a fair balance between responsibility and solidarity, the government said.

The Alan Kurdi, operated by the German NGO Sea-Eye, has been awaiting a safe port since 31 August after rescuing 13 people fleeing Tunisia. Eight of them were allowed to disembark in Malta for medical reasons.

German sea rescue NGO Sea-Eye last week filed a judicial protest calling on the Prime Minister and the Commander of the AFM to coordinate the disembarkation of a group of migrants rescued at sea by the M/V Alan Kurdi last week. This has now been withdrawn.

 

  • don't miss