The Malta Independent 17 February 2020, Monday

Updated (2): Gozo Minister Justyne Caruana resigns after husband linked to Daphne murder suspect

Monday, 20 January 2020, 08:07 Last update: about 27 days ago

Gozo Minister Justyne Caruana has resigned on Monday after reports linked her husband to the man accused with complicity in the murder of Daphne Caruana Galizia.

Sources told The Malta Independent that the minister had been requested to resign on Sunday.

Her husband, former deputy police commissioner Silvio Valletta, was also being investigated for possible ethical breaches after going on holiday with Yorgen Fenech, the man suspected to be behind the murder.

ADVERTISEMENT

The visit, to watch a football match, had taken place during the course of the investigation into the murder. Valletta had been investigating the case.

Valletta gave a statement to investigators at police headquarters in Floriana on Sunday.

On September 29, 2018, Valletta and Fenech flew business class to London to watch a football match at Chelsea FC’s Stamford Bridge stadium.

This morning, Times of Malta also reported about a video that was taken by Fenech, showing Valletta "fooling around" as he pretended to be the owner of a luxurious car owned by Fenech.

The Malta Independent is informed that Caruana informed her staff about the decision to resign this morning.

She is likely to be replaced by Anton Refalo, who served as Gozo Minister between 2013 and 2017. He was also parliamentary secretary for Gozo in the Alfred Sant government between 1996 and 1998.

Justyne Caruana was reappointed Minister for Gozo last week. She had already served as Gozo Minister under the Joseph Muscat administration.

As news of Caruana's resignation spread across Malta and Gozo, Refalo uploaded the post below on Facebook, wishing everyone a good week.

Last week, Refalo had uploaded a cryptic post in which he said that he does not know if he will be able to help his constituents.

  • don't miss