The Malta Independent 8 April 2020, Wednesday

Coronavirus: Third Maltese in quarantine on return from holiday

Saturday, 22 February 2020, 06:31 Last update: about 3 months ago

A third Maltese person has been placed in quarantine upon his arrival back in Malta after being on a cruise liner where a passenger was found to have contracted the illness known as COVID-19, or Coronavirus.

The Health Authorities have been notified of another Maltese passenger who was on board the cruise liner MS Westerdam, a statement said.

This person has been screened upon arrival in Malta and is not showing any signs or symptoms of respiratory disease. The person has been put in quarantine as a precautionary measure, and is being followed up by public health authorities.

ADVERTISEMENT

The other two persons who were placed in quarantine since their return from the same holiday last Sunday have remained asymptomatic.

The Westerdam arrived on 13 February in Cambodia after repeatedly being denied entry to other ports.

The Westerdam, with 2,257 passengers and crew aboard, began letting passengers off on 14 February as they found flights home.

But that was stopped once news broke that an 83-year-old American woman who had been on the ship and subsequently traveled to Malaysia was found to be carrying the virus.

Some 255 passengers and 747 crew members were held on the ship while further testing was conducted.

Cambodia’s Ministry of Health said Wednesday that all the tests came back negative and that all passengers were reported to be healthy and fever-free. After that, remaining passengers were allowed off the ship.

One of them was Maltese, and he returned to Malta on Friday.

  • don't miss