The Malta Independent 14 July 2020, Tuesday

Necessary directives for First Holy Communion ceremonies being prepared - Curia

Giulia Magri Thursday, 11 June 2020, 07:19 Last update: about 2 months ago

Whilst masses are to resume this Saturday, discussions are taking place as to when First Holy Communion and Holy Confirmation ceremonies will take place.

“With regard to Holy Communion, every parish priest will decide when this celebration may be held once the necessary directives which are being prepared are published,” a Curia spokesperson informed The Malta Independent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Last week Archbishop Mgr Charles Scicluna said that masses are to resume this weekend, starting on 13 June. There will be a limit to the number of people who will be allowed inside churches, according to social distancing parameters. Those attending mass must wear a visor or face mask, and individuals must remain in their place waiting to receive Holy Communion.

Masses had stopped in March as part of a measure to contain the spread of the Coronavirus. Now that Churches are slowly beginning to open their doors to the public once more, parents are asking when First Holy Communion and Holy Confirmation will take place.

The spokesperson from the Curia said that Confirmation ceremonies, which require a bishop or his delegate to administer the sacrament, are also still being planned. “Further details will be announced in the new directives,” the spokesperson explained.

A number of parish priests who spoke to this newsroom said that they might consider holding such First Communion ceremonies at the end of July.

The newsroom was informed that because of social distancing, such ceremonies will be held in small groups and the congregation including the children need to wear visors.

This newsroom was also informed that some retail outlets which sell Holy Communion dresses and outfits are worried that the dresses and outfits will not arrive on time.

  • don't miss